This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    As Andy mentioned in his first response, don't get hung-up on being made redundant, I seem to recall a statistic that 3 times is the average across a person's working life. Getting made redundant can be the first step on a new "adventure". My first time I left the tools behind and started into design, next time I stopped being "the client" and I started working for a Consultancy. This time I've started my own business and so far so good.

"But equally, many of us have found that redundancy is actually the first step to a new and much more satisfying career." I'd say definitely!

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    As Andy mentioned in his first response, don't get hung-up on being made redundant, I seem to recall a statistic that 3 times is the average across a person's working life. Getting made redundant can be the first step on a new "adventure". My first time I left the tools behind and started into design, next time I stopped being "the client" and I started working for a Consultancy. This time I've started my own business and so far so good.

"But equally, many of us have found that redundancy is actually the first step to a new and much more satisfying career." I'd say definitely!

Children
No Data