This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents
  • One other thing that hasn't been mentioned which you may consider is signing up to an agency. After my most recent redundancy a couple of years ago at age 56 (only two in 40+ years isn't bad) I tried a couple of applications and then contacted an agency that had been sending me CVs when I was recruiting a couple of years previously. On the plus side to this, they have their ear to the ground and are aware of all the vacancies being advertised, but on the minus side, they will not tailor your CV to the post but send it in "as is" (and also on the minus side, many employers will choose first from non-agency applicants due to the cost implications). I have to admit it didn't do me any good in that at about the same time I applied for a job from an IET advert which turned out to be an ideal match - just the sort of work I wanted and I was just the sort of person they were looking for. However the agency did find a possible opening which I had as a backstop.

Everything else said above by Lisa, Bill and Andy is excellent advice, but in addition to (or rather amplification of) Andy's comments about the interview I would also say "be honest and be yourself". Don't try to give the answers you think they want to hear, give your honest answers/opinion. Most potential employers will value this, and can often tell when someone is not being completely candid, but also the ones that don't are often the ones you would regret working for.

Very best wishes with your job searches,

Alasdair
  • One other thing that hasn't been mentioned which you may consider is signing up to an agency. After my most recent redundancy a couple of years ago at age 56 (only two in 40+ years isn't bad) I tried a couple of applications and then contacted an agency that had been sending me CVs when I was recruiting a couple of years previously. On the plus side to this, they have their ear to the ground and are aware of all the vacancies being advertised, but on the minus side, they will not tailor your CV to the post but send it in "as is" (and also on the minus side, many employers will choose first from non-agency applicants due to the cost implications). I have to admit it didn't do me any good in that at about the same time I applied for a job from an IET advert which turned out to be an ideal match - just the sort of work I wanted and I was just the sort of person they were looking for. However the agency did find a possible opening which I had as a backstop.

Everything else said above by Lisa, Bill and Andy is excellent advice, but in addition to (or rather amplification of) Andy's comments about the interview I would also say "be honest and be yourself". Don't try to give the answers you think they want to hear, give your honest answers/opinion. Most potential employers will value this, and can often tell when someone is not being completely candid, but also the ones that don't are often the ones you would regret working for.

Very best wishes with your job searches,

Alasdair
Children
No Data