This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents
  • Hi John

I'm really sorry to hear about that. Not so much as advice as what I did. I got made redundant when the firm I worked for went under. I went contracting  - set up my own Ltd company. I'm 55 and we still have a mortgage so it's not all beer and skittles yet, but we will get there. The hardest thing is dismantling my mindset of having a "permanent job with a respectable firm". But, I'm getting over that as well.

Having set up a Ltd company. I then spent a bit of time working with a CV consultant to get my CV down to 2 pages and making it clear that I was selling a few skills, and that message was as sharp as I could make it  - no frills. In fact, as daft as this might sound, the first twenty years of my graduate working life are just down as "Early Career Summary" with firm, dates, job title. That's it, no detail! (and to be honest, I used the fact that I'm fortunate to be CEng as a sort of shorthand).

I then registered with a couple of contractor agencies and badgered them 'till I landed my 1st contract.

So if it that helps then great. 

All the best

David
  • Hi John

I'm really sorry to hear about that. Not so much as advice as what I did. I got made redundant when the firm I worked for went under. I went contracting  - set up my own Ltd company. I'm 55 and we still have a mortgage so it's not all beer and skittles yet, but we will get there. The hardest thing is dismantling my mindset of having a "permanent job with a respectable firm". But, I'm getting over that as well.

Having set up a Ltd company. I then spent a bit of time working with a CV consultant to get my CV down to 2 pages and making it clear that I was selling a few skills, and that message was as sharp as I could make it  - no frills. In fact, as daft as this might sound, the first twenty years of my graduate working life are just down as "Early Career Summary" with firm, dates, job title. That's it, no detail! (and to be honest, I used the fact that I'm fortunate to be CEng as a sort of shorthand).

I then registered with a couple of contractor agencies and badgered them 'till I landed my 1st contract.

So if it that helps then great. 

All the best

David
Children
No Data