This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jobs for over 50s

Hi All,

Arrived at work today for the first day of the new year to find that I and eveyone else have lost their jobs. This despite record profits last year. It's a long and involved story.

I am 56. So please, ANY advice welcomed on job-seeking. I'm an Electronc Engineer and have also the parallel roles of Quality Manager and Production Manager. Quite happy to work "hands on".

My software experience is 13+ years out of date due to my employer having a great divide between hardware and software.

John/
Parents

• David Leng:

In fact, as daft as this might sound, the first twenty years of my graduate working life are just down as "Early Career Summary" with firm, dates, job title. That's it, no detail! 

Absolutely, much the same for me:1978 (when I started my undergraduate apprenticeship) to 1999 are very brief indeed, and 1999-2005 only has slightly more because that's when my career started turning in the direction it ended up. There wants to be enough there to show a logical story, but it's really the last (say) five years that are the most interesting for showing what value you can add today.

• David Leng:

In fact, as daft as this might sound, the first twenty years of my graduate working life are just down as "Early Career Summary" with firm, dates, job title. That's it, no detail! 

Absolutely, much the same for me:1978 (when I started my undergraduate apprenticeship) to 1999 are very brief indeed, and 1999-2005 only has slightly more because that's when my career started turning in the direction it ended up. There wants to be enough there to show a logical story, but it's really the last (say) five years that are the most interesting for showing what value you can add today.

Children
No Data