This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

'Right to repair' gathers force

I'd be interested to canvas other members views on this. My view is "about time" - not for consumers to mend appliances themselves, but for appliances to be designed and manufactured for long service lives. My perspective comes from experience in three different manufacturing industries where longevity was a given, our products were expected to be serviceable for 20 years, and in practice typically lasted considerably more - 30, 40, 50 years. I get very frustrated if a piece of domestic equipment fails in an unserviceable way after, say, 5 years - recently happened with our gas cooker (which was actually pretty naff from day one). Then of course there's the electronic equipment that fails just after the warranty expires - I'd suggest that's completely unacceptable from a resource point of view. We know a huge amount now about design for reliability and design for serviceability, from an ethical point of view shouldn't we be applying this more?

I'm glad to see this article also considers the question of whether we should be encouraged to replace perfectly serviceable equipment in the name of energy efficiency. As it states, this all depends whether the energy expended in producing the equipment and disposing of the old equipment could actually exceeds the potential saving - which I suspect it often does.  

Cheers, Andy
Parents
  • Interesting point Frank - the contrary view is that the added complexity has improved our lives: my wife and I were discussing this earlier, and she mentioned old cars which were fixable by any mechanic (she was partly thinking of an extreme example of Alasdair's example - we have a friend who's recently finished rebuilding a 1912 Model T Ford, we have another who is constantly rebuilding various cars form the '60s for hill climbing), and I did have to say that although repairable they were by modern standards bloomin' dangerous!

However, with a bit of intelligent engineering I know from experience that it's possible to design products and systems that are both complex and repairable. A very common problem is electronics obsolescence, and at a component level that is a challenge, but at a "black box" level replaceable parts can be made if manufacturers decide to / see the need to / have to.

It would be interesting if consumer product manufacturers had to produce MTBF figures for their products (I'm thinking white goods and similar here), perhaps on a simple banded scale like energy efficiency. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that they would find huge consumer pressure towards those with the better figures.

On Alasdair's point, fortunately the special tools are nearly always available on eBay smiley It's very rare that I've found a piece of electronics which I haven't been able to get into. If all else fails my trusty collection of power tools gets there in the end...

On which point, a conundrum: over the last couple of years I've bought a couple of power tools from a well known and highly regarded manufacturer (with a three year warranty), both failed within the warranty period. As far as getting me going again the manufacturer's service was faultless: they arranged collection for the next day, and within a couple of days decided in both cases that the tool was unrepairable and immediately provided me with a new one. I'm torn about this - I really appreciate the customer service, but I wished they'd made tools which a) didn't break down and b) were rapidly repairable if they did! Particularly frustrating as one of these was a jigsaw that I bought to replace a £5 own-brand jigsaw from a DIY chain which is still working (albeit in a slightly wobbly way) after 15 years of hard use.  

Endnote: As a surprise Christmas present for my wife I repaired and refurbished her beloved old 1960s Decca transistor radio which had been sitting broken in our loft for years. I've still got a bit of tweaking to do on it - slightly daunting as I've never aligned an FM radio before, but I know I will be able to do it (I have a donor set should I damage any of the pot cores). Meanwhile we seem to have an ever growing collection of partially or fully broken DAB radios...

Many thanks all for the excellent comments!

Cheers,

Andy
  • Interesting point Frank - the contrary view is that the added complexity has improved our lives: my wife and I were discussing this earlier, and she mentioned old cars which were fixable by any mechanic (she was partly thinking of an extreme example of Alasdair's example - we have a friend who's recently finished rebuilding a 1912 Model T Ford, we have another who is constantly rebuilding various cars form the '60s for hill climbing), and I did have to say that although repairable they were by modern standards bloomin' dangerous!

However, with a bit of intelligent engineering I know from experience that it's possible to design products and systems that are both complex and repairable. A very common problem is electronics obsolescence, and at a component level that is a challenge, but at a "black box" level replaceable parts can be made if manufacturers decide to / see the need to / have to.

It would be interesting if consumer product manufacturers had to produce MTBF figures for their products (I'm thinking white goods and similar here), perhaps on a simple banded scale like energy efficiency. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that they would find huge consumer pressure towards those with the better figures.

On Alasdair's point, fortunately the special tools are nearly always available on eBay smiley It's very rare that I've found a piece of electronics which I haven't been able to get into. If all else fails my trusty collection of power tools gets there in the end...

On which point, a conundrum: over the last couple of years I've bought a couple of power tools from a well known and highly regarded manufacturer (with a three year warranty), both failed within the warranty period. As far as getting me going again the manufacturer's service was faultless: they arranged collection for the next day, and within a couple of days decided in both cases that the tool was unrepairable and immediately provided me with a new one. I'm torn about this - I really appreciate the customer service, but I wished they'd made tools which a) didn't break down and b) were rapidly repairable if they did! Particularly frustrating as one of these was a jigsaw that I bought to replace a £5 own-brand jigsaw from a DIY chain which is still working (albeit in a slightly wobbly way) after 15 years of hard use.  

Endnote: As a surprise Christmas present for my wife I repaired and refurbished her beloved old 1960s Decca transistor radio which had been sitting broken in our loft for years. I've still got a bit of tweaking to do on it - slightly daunting as I've never aligned an FM radio before, but I know I will be able to do it (I have a donor set should I damage any of the pot cores). Meanwhile we seem to have an ever growing collection of partially or fully broken DAB radios...

Many thanks all for the excellent comments!

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data