This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

'Right to repair' gathers force

I'd be interested to canvas other members views on this. My view is "about time" - not for consumers to mend appliances themselves, but for appliances to be designed and manufactured for long service lives. My perspective comes from experience in three different manufacturing industries where longevity was a given, our products were expected to be serviceable for 20 years, and in practice typically lasted considerably more - 30, 40, 50 years. I get very frustrated if a piece of domestic equipment fails in an unserviceable way after, say, 5 years - recently happened with our gas cooker (which was actually pretty naff from day one). Then of course there's the electronic equipment that fails just after the warranty expires - I'd suggest that's completely unacceptable from a resource point of view. We know a huge amount now about design for reliability and design for serviceability, from an ethical point of view shouldn't we be applying this more?

I'm glad to see this article also considers the question of whether we should be encouraged to replace perfectly serviceable equipment in the name of energy efficiency. As it states, this all depends whether the energy expended in producing the equipment and disposing of the old equipment could actually exceeds the potential saving - which I suspect it often does.  

Cheers, Andy
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Andy and others

I totally agree - all medium and large domestic products should be repairable. The 'Right to Repair' should be enforced by legislation as soon as possible. The problem is we have very few, if any, in parliament who are professional Engineers and so cannot really understand the technicalities involved (compare this situation with say France or Germany). I have a Karcher vacuum scraper (German design) which is repairable, and I must replace its battery.... not sure about my iPad which is in need of the same treatment.

As a thought experiment let's go say 50 years into the future; if we don't repair we will be running out of materials, denuding the earth of resources and possibly having even more mountains of plastic (= serious problems). We all know repair is the way to go, it just needs us to form a strong enough lobby to influence our government for the good of our children and grandchildren. Besides, I enjoy taking things apart, now getting them back together in working order - THAT'S the challenge!

Is it worth writing to our MPs, do you think?

Martin Letts

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hi Andy and others

I totally agree - all medium and large domestic products should be repairable. The 'Right to Repair' should be enforced by legislation as soon as possible. The problem is we have very few, if any, in parliament who are professional Engineers and so cannot really understand the technicalities involved (compare this situation with say France or Germany). I have a Karcher vacuum scraper (German design) which is repairable, and I must replace its battery.... not sure about my iPad which is in need of the same treatment.

As a thought experiment let's go say 50 years into the future; if we don't repair we will be running out of materials, denuding the earth of resources and possibly having even more mountains of plastic (= serious problems). We all know repair is the way to go, it just needs us to form a strong enough lobby to influence our government for the good of our children and grandchildren. Besides, I enjoy taking things apart, now getting them back together in working order - THAT'S the challenge!

Is it worth writing to our MPs, do you think?

Martin Letts

Children
No Data