This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

'Right to repair' gathers force

I'd be interested to canvas other members views on this. My view is "about time" - not for consumers to mend appliances themselves, but for appliances to be designed and manufactured for long service lives. My perspective comes from experience in three different manufacturing industries where longevity was a given, our products were expected to be serviceable for 20 years, and in practice typically lasted considerably more - 30, 40, 50 years. I get very frustrated if a piece of domestic equipment fails in an unserviceable way after, say, 5 years - recently happened with our gas cooker (which was actually pretty naff from day one). Then of course there's the electronic equipment that fails just after the warranty expires - I'd suggest that's completely unacceptable from a resource point of view. We know a huge amount now about design for reliability and design for serviceability, from an ethical point of view shouldn't we be applying this more?

I'm glad to see this article also considers the question of whether we should be encouraged to replace perfectly serviceable equipment in the name of energy efficiency. As it states, this all depends whether the energy expended in producing the equipment and disposing of the old equipment could actually exceeds the potential saving - which I suspect it often does.  

Cheers, Andy
Parents
  • Hi Mark,

I used to work with a colleague who - as a hobby that also made a bit of money - used to repair phones, digital cameras and the like. I was always most impressed, personally although I'm pretty good at soldering I wouldn't take on any but the simplest SMD board. (I also used to have a friend who repaired - or at least life extended - incandescent light bulbs by twizzling the broken wire ends together.)

But I think the intention is more to consider module (or big component) level rather than BGAs. Also, aside from the atmospheric bombardment mechanism discussed above, I'd contend that if electronic components are correctly rated they really shouldn't be the weak point, and that should only be a marginal cost issue in the design time rather than the component cost. I particularly remember our dishwasher that packed up due to an underrated resistor - on that occasion I'd contend the person who made the repair made a darn sight better job than the manufacturer. (Yes, I did trace out the circuit and prove that it was underrated, and fitted a massively overrated part. And no, it wasn't intended as a protective fuse smiley But of course I agree that 99.99% of repairers wouldn't have had the skills, experience, or sheer bloody-minded pigheadedness to do that laugh And that if I was to cost my time at the hourly rate I'm now charged out at we could have bought three nice new dishwashers! All the more reason for the manufacturer to get it right in the first place...)

Again, as in my reply above, I do of course agree with you that this isn't a black and white issue, it's just about reversing the trend and - particularly - attitude that engineered products only need to last a year and a day.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Hi Mark,

I used to work with a colleague who - as a hobby that also made a bit of money - used to repair phones, digital cameras and the like. I was always most impressed, personally although I'm pretty good at soldering I wouldn't take on any but the simplest SMD board. (I also used to have a friend who repaired - or at least life extended - incandescent light bulbs by twizzling the broken wire ends together.)

But I think the intention is more to consider module (or big component) level rather than BGAs. Also, aside from the atmospheric bombardment mechanism discussed above, I'd contend that if electronic components are correctly rated they really shouldn't be the weak point, and that should only be a marginal cost issue in the design time rather than the component cost. I particularly remember our dishwasher that packed up due to an underrated resistor - on that occasion I'd contend the person who made the repair made a darn sight better job than the manufacturer. (Yes, I did trace out the circuit and prove that it was underrated, and fitted a massively overrated part. And no, it wasn't intended as a protective fuse smiley But of course I agree that 99.99% of repairers wouldn't have had the skills, experience, or sheer bloody-minded pigheadedness to do that laugh And that if I was to cost my time at the hourly rate I'm now charged out at we could have bought three nice new dishwashers! All the more reason for the manufacturer to get it right in the first place...)

Again, as in my reply above, I do of course agree with you that this isn't a black and white issue, it's just about reversing the trend and - particularly - attitude that engineered products only need to last a year and a day.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data