This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

LED street lighting

My local council has replaced the high pressure sodium street lights that bathed the neighbourhood in a warm subtly yellow tinged glow with LED street lights that emit a piercing cool white light.

This is not the first change in street lighting during my lifetime. I'm old enough to remember when the monochromatic yellow low pressure sodium lights were commonplace in side streets and in residential areas before most were replaced by high pressure sodium lights – possibly in order to deter and reduce crime. However, mercury lights that illuminated cities with a weird greenish-white hue were a bit before my time. Where was the last place in Britain that used mercury street lights in large numbers? Was it Hartlepool? Before that were incandescent lights – a dimmer relative (in terms of colour) of the high pressure sodium lights.

The new LED street lights are certainly brighter than the old high pressure sodium lights, but it's a brightness that takes getting used to. The long term consequences of LED street lights remains to be seen. Cool white light has a colour spectrum containing plenty of blue whereas the old high pressure sodium light is shifted more towards the red end of the colour spectrum. I have read that blue light is bad for sleep whereas red light is good for sleep. Could cool white LED street lights end up causing insomnia? Are warm white LEDs a better choice for residential areas?

What do you think?
Parents

• James Shaw:

I think all the LED street lights that I have seen are too 'white'. When driving at night and approaching a junction the spillage of white light onto the road in front of you was an indication that another vehicle was also heading that way, a useful warning. Now all these LED lit junctions trigger my internal alert system! Some might say that is a good thing if it makes us cautious but of course eventually the sense is dulled until one night there is a vehicle there and we find out too late.

In theory LED lights could be made just about any colour so why couldn't they be a bit warmer? As to the spread of light, the old light opposite my house allowed me to see enough to reverse onto my drive whereas the LED replacement doesn't.

Considering the use of LEDs for illumination in general, whatever happened to concerns about glare? No attempt seems to be made to diffuse the light from these LED panels, they look like multiple bare filaments, something that would have been thought poor design when using incandescent lamps. Is it because the first LEDs used for lighting struggled to put out enough light so the loss in a diffuser would have been too much? But then people use GU10 Halogen Spotlight lamps to add 'sparkle' (or glare as it used to be called!).

You make some valid points about LED lights. I have thought about whether they should be warm white rather than cool white in residential areas as there is a British preference towards warm white for use in homes. Glare is also an issue and most domestic LED bulbs have a pearl finish with clear bulbs generally only used in chandaliers with lots dangling glass.

Does anybody have much experience of the old mercury street lights for comparison?

• James Shaw:

I think all the LED street lights that I have seen are too 'white'. When driving at night and approaching a junction the spillage of white light onto the road in front of you was an indication that another vehicle was also heading that way, a useful warning. Now all these LED lit junctions trigger my internal alert system! Some might say that is a good thing if it makes us cautious but of course eventually the sense is dulled until one night there is a vehicle there and we find out too late.

In theory LED lights could be made just about any colour so why couldn't they be a bit warmer? As to the spread of light, the old light opposite my house allowed me to see enough to reverse onto my drive whereas the LED replacement doesn't.

Considering the use of LEDs for illumination in general, whatever happened to concerns about glare? No attempt seems to be made to diffuse the light from these LED panels, they look like multiple bare filaments, something that would have been thought poor design when using incandescent lamps. Is it because the first LEDs used for lighting struggled to put out enough light so the loss in a diffuser would have been too much? But then people use GU10 Halogen Spotlight lamps to add 'sparkle' (or glare as it used to be called!).

You make some valid points about LED lights. I have thought about whether they should be warm white rather than cool white in residential areas as there is a British preference towards warm white for use in homes. Glare is also an issue and most domestic LED bulbs have a pearl finish with clear bulbs generally only used in chandaliers with lots dangling glass.

Does anybody have much experience of the old mercury street lights for comparison?

Children
No Data