This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How to work out which capacitor I require to run a three phase motor from a single phase supply.

Hi I have a three phase motor that I wish to run from a single phase supply.

Does anyone know what the formula is for working out the correct capacitance.

Thank you

Daniel
Parents
  • When I tried researching this I came up with the is some trial and error involved starting with an educated quess.

I was trying to sort out what control gear was required for a submersible bore hole pump with no idea of what was down the bore hole, it got really interesting when I was on the phone to a guy who knows about such things and emailed him some photos of the control gear that was in place, he went quiet then said I’m surprised it hasn’t gone up in smoke as whoever wired it used a start capacitor as a run capacitor.

Anyway I sent for a expert who retired the controls, then when he had it running smoothly I had to rewire his rewiring to make it safe. 

Just remember that someone who can make things work aren’t always neat and tid, also as I realised afterwards he had phoned his dad to ask what to do!

Andy
  • When I tried researching this I came up with the is some trial and error involved starting with an educated quess.

I was trying to sort out what control gear was required for a submersible bore hole pump with no idea of what was down the bore hole, it got really interesting when I was on the phone to a guy who knows about such things and emailed him some photos of the control gear that was in place, he went quiet then said I’m surprised it hasn’t gone up in smoke as whoever wired it used a start capacitor as a run capacitor.

Anyway I sent for a expert who retired the controls, then when he had it running smoothly I had to rewire his rewiring to make it safe. 

Just remember that someone who can make things work aren’t always neat and tid, also as I realised afterwards he had phoned his dad to ask what to do!

Andy
Children
No Data