This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

How to work out which capacitor I require to run a three phase motor from a single phase supply.

Hi I have a three phase motor that I wish to run from a single phase supply.

Does anyone know what the formula is for working out the correct capacitance.

Thank you

Daniel
Parents
  • Its a bit of a kludge to use  a single value capacitor, as during start, or heavy load, the motor will present a lower impedance, and the phase shift is too high, (as it gets nearer the 90 degees you get with a capacitor and a small R in series ) but  if you get it right for a decent start up, then it is too much ( and the phase shift too little) once up to speed (so  it never gets up to speed).

Posh units switch caps in  and out to get more or less equal voltages accross the two "flying" phase voltages.

on 50 Hz and 250V  mains you need circa 50-100uF per horse power, and  be prepared to switch some C in and out if you have trouble starting, and do realise it will never be as good as a real 3 phase PSU.

t7bd916f15c04a6497888a3a3b6d6b6f9-huge-motor3phas3e.jpg

• Its a bit of a kludge to use  a single value capacitor, as during start, or heavy load, the motor will present a lower impedance, and the phase shift is too high, (as it gets nearer the 90 degees you get with a capacitor and a small R in series ) but  if you get it right for a decent start up, then it is too much ( and the phase shift too little) once up to speed (so  it never gets up to speed).

Posh units switch caps in  and out to get more or less equal voltages accross the two "flying" phase voltages.

on 50 Hz and 250V  mains you need circa 50-100uF per horse power, and  be prepared to switch some C in and out if you have trouble starting, and do realise it will never be as good as a real 3 phase PSU.

t7bd916f15c04a6497888a3a3b6d6b6f9-huge-motor3phas3e.jpg

Children
No Data