This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: What support can I give to a transgender engineer?

Dear Calvin

I'm a manager in an large engineering company and manage a team of around 20 engineers. One of my team has come to me to let me know that they are transgender and are about to take the first steps in the process of gender reassignment. They are due to take a few days holiday and then will return to work living as the opposite sex and changing their name.

I know the IET has a diversity champion and also an LGBT community, so as their manager I would really welcome some advice from the community on how I can best support them at work whilst they're undergoing this transition and beyond.

Needing Advice - Cardiff

Need advice but too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

• On the InterEngineering site you’ll find a report on Transitioning in the Workplace. It’s from a workshop hosted by National Grid, InterEngineering and Stonewall on the 29th November 2017 to identify what was good practice for supporting transition in the workplace, and if improvements could be made to transitioning guidance. The workshop kicked off with a series of speakers from InterEngineering, National Grid, EDF Energy, Aston University, IBM and Stonewall. The event was attended by representatives across the engineering sector including EDF Energy, Jaguar Land Rover, Arup, Rolls-Royce and Wood. Five questions formed the basis of the workshop:

1. Where to start?

• How to support individuals who are transitioning?

• How to support line managers and colleagues?

• What is considered to be best practice for companies to implement?

• How to make the best use external organisations?

heres the link http://interengineeringlgbt.com/transitioning-in-the-workplace-a-good-practice-guide-2/