This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Free bus travel for all to help slash UK transport sector pollution?

Environmental campaigners have suggested that bus use should be made free to all to encourage less car use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

How realistic is that though? With many areas of the country with no (or very sporadic) bus service how can you really expect everyone to stop using their own personal transport options?
Parents
  • I live in a newish city.  A bus from my house to the Railway station takes about 20 minutes but I can walk it in 25 minutes and cycle it in just over 7.  Some of this is because my nearest bus stop is at least 5 minutes walk.

I've visited Vancouver in Canada, where they have a very good public transport system.  It's not free, but the buses normally run regular and there are a variety of routes.  I suspect it's less about free and more convenience.
  • I live in a newish city.  A bus from my house to the Railway station takes about 20 minutes but I can walk it in 25 minutes and cycle it in just over 7.  Some of this is because my nearest bus stop is at least 5 minutes walk.

I've visited Vancouver in Canada, where they have a very good public transport system.  It's not free, but the buses normally run regular and there are a variety of routes.  I suspect it's less about free and more convenience.
Children
No Data