This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Free bus travel for all to help slash UK transport sector pollution?

Environmental campaigners have suggested that bus use should be made free to all to encourage less car use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

How realistic is that though? With many areas of the country with no (or very sporadic) bus service how can you really expect everyone to stop using their own personal transport options?
Parents
  • I have thought about this for years.  I think a possible system that could be adopted is a tiered one; where local buses which stop at every bus stop are free to use (but slow due to all the stops) and other buses running between hubs without stopping in between charge (but offer quicker transits between the hubs).  There would need to be a large increase in the number of buses running often and regularly throughout the country, and we would have to accept that they would often be running with not many passengers.  The biggest problem in setting such a system up is the cost.  Whilst the aim is, of course, to get people out of cars and using the buses; if they do so they are no longer paying fuel duty or road tax and so there is less money to invest in it.
  • I have thought about this for years.  I think a possible system that could be adopted is a tiered one; where local buses which stop at every bus stop are free to use (but slow due to all the stops) and other buses running between hubs without stopping in between charge (but offer quicker transits between the hubs).  There would need to be a large increase in the number of buses running often and regularly throughout the country, and we would have to accept that they would often be running with not many passengers.  The biggest problem in setting such a system up is the cost.  Whilst the aim is, of course, to get people out of cars and using the buses; if they do so they are no longer paying fuel duty or road tax and so there is less money to invest in it.
Children
No Data