This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Free bus travel for all to help slash UK transport sector pollution?

Environmental campaigners have suggested that bus use should be made free to all to encourage less car use and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

How realistic is that though? With many areas of the country with no (or very sporadic) bus service how can you really expect everyone to stop using their own personal transport options?
Parents
  • Bus travel just isn't a realistic proposition for me, from a number of viewpoints. 

1. Convenience. Or should I say, inconvenience. The regular service bus in our village was discontinued due to lack of use, and replaced by a pre-booked private bus. From where I live, it's a ten minute drive to town whenever I need to go in - compared to booking the privately-run bus service the mandatory two days in advance. No good if you need to visit the doctor or pick something up in a hurry.

2. Practicality. The privately-run bus service doesn't operate first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon. So it's not available at exactly the time I'd need it.

3. Flexibility. Due to the nature of my job, my start time can be anywhere between 05:30 and 08:00, and my finish time can be any time from 16:30 onwards - dependent on how the day's job progresses. Nine times out of ten, my day will over-run, meaning that even if I'd been able to book the bus, I'd miss it anyway. 

So free travel just wouldn't work for me. Even if I was paid by the mile to use the bus, it wouldn't be an option.

• Bus travel just isn't a realistic proposition for me, from a number of viewpoints. 

1. Convenience. Or should I say, inconvenience. The regular service bus in our village was discontinued due to lack of use, and replaced by a pre-booked private bus. From where I live, it's a ten minute drive to town whenever I need to go in - compared to booking the privately-run bus service the mandatory two days in advance. No good if you need to visit the doctor or pick something up in a hurry.

2. Practicality. The privately-run bus service doesn't operate first thing in the morning or last thing in the afternoon. So it's not available at exactly the time I'd need it.

3. Flexibility. Due to the nature of my job, my start time can be anywhere between 05:30 and 08:00, and my finish time can be any time from 16:30 onwards - dependent on how the day's job progresses. Nine times out of ten, my day will over-run, meaning that even if I'd been able to book the bus, I'd miss it anyway. 

So free travel just wouldn't work for me. Even if I was paid by the mile to use the bus, it wouldn't be an option.

Children
No Data