This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

IET Scotland still alive?

Former Community Member
Former Community Member
Is the IET still alive in Scotland?

I've been a member since the late 90s.   Joining the IEE when I was at uni.   Today, I have the renewal pack through for £ 170+ and I'm wondering is it worth renewing?

Reports that the Teacher Building has closed, I walked past late 2018 but I haven't been for an event in years.   But I'm not seeing many events being advertised for Scotland either.

I've always felt that the IEE / IET have been too London centric.   When the Teacher building opened I hoped it would act as a mini-Savoy place where you could get publications sent up for you to read from the library, but that never happened.   Now, the reports I have read is that it's closing because it needed £200k of work but there was no hesitation in spending £30+ million on Savoy place.   Surely it would be better value to sell Savoy place and put the money back in to local services?

The recent re-launch of the IET's brand to me looks like a marketing exercise gone wrong.   I have to be careful that I'm not being misunderstood, but the output from the IET recently has been about teaching school children about STEM and with a bias towards the female gender.   Both valuable, although I would argue that it should be gender-neutral.   The pink "=" sign in the new logo doesn't suggest neutrality!   I think the IET is missing touch with promoting engineering excellence for all.

So is the IET still for professional engineers?   Or is it more focused upon girl-school teachers?   The output suggests the latter.

Sadly, after 30+ years of membership I think my time in the IEE / IET is coming to an end.   I've opened discussions with the IEEE and they have confirmed with me I am not alone.   They state they've heard from a good number of disillusioned IET members wishing to move to the IEEE.

Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    John,

Disappointed to see you are considering leaving the IET. I don't know which area you are from but you should be receiving regular emails advising you of events/visits in your area.

I regularly attend those held in Edinburgh (S.E. area) and Perth (North area) to keep the "little grey cells" active.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    John,

Disappointed to see you are considering leaving the IET. I don't know which area you are from but you should be receiving regular emails advising you of events/visits in your area.

I regularly attend those held in Edinburgh (S.E. area) and Perth (North area) to keep the "little grey cells" active.
Children
No Data