This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Where is the IET going?

The IET on Twitter is mostly about women in engineering and it appears we also have or have had an Executive member who represents the Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers (AFBE-UK). Since when did we get away and direct our selves at subsections of the organization? There is no minorities that I am aware of in the IET at least not because of bias in any way shape of form. The same goes for women in engineering, no one is biased against them. Low numbers are because they dont want to be in engineering..

Where is the IET heading? It does not seem to be going in a place most of the member wold probably want or is it?
Parents
  • Thanks for your message Raymond and for following the IET on our social media channels. We really appreciate receiving feedback from our members. The IET has a long history of supporting women in engineering, having hosted the Young Woman Engineer of the Year awards for many years. Following your message, I asked my team to review recent posts from the IET Twitter account. In the past six months we have posted 849 Tweets. Of these, 87 related to women. Some of these celebrated the accomplishments of female engineers, while many featured an engineer or technician who just happened to be a woman.  Most recently we posted a Tweet about our Young Woman Engineer of the Year winner who has been featured in the Royal Academy’s #ThisIsEngineering campaign, as well as supporting International #WomenInScience Day.

During the same period, we also posted a large number of messages about men. Of particular note were posts about Alan Turing being voted the most iconic figure of the 20th century, winners of our #SantaLovesSTEM competition, STEM Ambassadors, our honorary fellow will I am, prize winners, key note speakers, MPs and the Present Around the World winner and finalists.

Christopher Knibb, Head of Corporate Communications

• Thanks for your message Raymond and for following the IET on our social media channels. We really appreciate receiving feedback from our members. The IET has a long history of supporting women in engineering, having hosted the Young Woman Engineer of the Year awards for many years. Following your message, I asked my team to review recent posts from the IET Twitter account. In the past six months we have posted 849 Tweets. Of these, 87 related to women. Some of these celebrated the accomplishments of female engineers, while many featured an engineer or technician who just happened to be a woman.  Most recently we posted a Tweet about our Young Woman Engineer of the Year winner who has been featured in the Royal Academy’s #ThisIsEngineering campaign, as well as supporting International #WomenInScience Day.

During the same period, we also posted a large number of messages about men. Of particular note were posts about Alan Turing being voted the most iconic figure of the 20th century, winners of our #SantaLovesSTEM competition, STEM Ambassadors, our honorary fellow will I am, prize winners, key note speakers, MPs and the Present Around the World winner and finalists.

Christopher Knibb, Head of Corporate Communications

Children
No Data