This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Youngest Chartered Engineers

Having received the latest copy of Member News, I noted that there was an article about the new youngest CEng.  Now, obviously it isn’t a race to get CEng and it doesn’t really matter at what age you achieve it.

But it did tweak my interest to wonder what the ages (not names, let’s keep some privacy) of the, say, 16 youngest people to achieve CEng was.  Assuming the IET kept that type of information.  I don’t suppose that this information is available?

I’d imagine it would be a challenge to get the youngest age that much more under 26.  If a 3 year BEng can be compressed to 2 years, then possibly a MEng can be compressed down to 3.  Assuming a compressed degree could achieve accreditation then that might lower it another year.  However, the competences take as long as they take and it’s about being in the right place and grabbing the right opportunities.
Parents
  • Yes, I nearly mentioned we need more young PRAs and Mentors! (My train arrived at Paddington so I needed to come to a close.) Thanks for adding that, I think it's very much a "virtuous circle" - the more the average age of the registered professionals is driven down, the more the average age of PRAs and Mentors - and indeed Council - will hopefully also be driven down and the more representative the IET is likely to be of practicing engineers, which should attract more recent graduates...

Personally I'm not that keen on MPDS, similarly to your feelings I think it can result in false targets being set just to achieve targets (and then embarrassment all round when they're not met because the candidate has been asked to work on something different), but I think there's the germ of an idea there - the idea that there is a regular questioning of whether early career engineers are making sure they're developing all the professional registration competences. (Needs their managers to buy into this as well!)

Yes, I only know about it because my company put me through the IMechE mentor training because it was free! (IET please note...) Although I believe IET Mentor training is free to IET Mentors, just not to internal mentors on company schemes.  

Cheers, Andy
  • Yes, I nearly mentioned we need more young PRAs and Mentors! (My train arrived at Paddington so I needed to come to a close.) Thanks for adding that, I think it's very much a "virtuous circle" - the more the average age of the registered professionals is driven down, the more the average age of PRAs and Mentors - and indeed Council - will hopefully also be driven down and the more representative the IET is likely to be of practicing engineers, which should attract more recent graduates...

Personally I'm not that keen on MPDS, similarly to your feelings I think it can result in false targets being set just to achieve targets (and then embarrassment all round when they're not met because the candidate has been asked to work on something different), but I think there's the germ of an idea there - the idea that there is a regular questioning of whether early career engineers are making sure they're developing all the professional registration competences. (Needs their managers to buy into this as well!)

Yes, I only know about it because my company put me through the IMechE mentor training because it was free! (IET please note...) Although I believe IET Mentor training is free to IET Mentors, just not to internal mentors on company schemes.  

Cheers, Andy
Children
No Data