This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

English literature GCSE

What does the IET and the engineering community think of the English literature GCSE? Is it relevant or beneficial for engineering or is it (like food tech) something that hardly anybody cares about?

English literature is a near compulsory GCSE in England but is now optional in Wales where it has experienced quite a heavy decline in the number of secondary school students taking it.
Parents
  • English Literature ought to be used to encourage reading for pleasure and reading a varied range of genres... I suspect it doesn't.

You could expand and say that the humanities and the arts have no benefit either, but I would argue they benefit the society at large (image that there were no art galleries, no music, no libraries).

I'm not sure about food tech not being relevant.  I've met engineers who design the process equipment used on modern food manufacturing lines.
  • English Literature ought to be used to encourage reading for pleasure and reading a varied range of genres... I suspect it doesn't.

You could expand and say that the humanities and the arts have no benefit either, but I would argue they benefit the society at large (image that there were no art galleries, no music, no libraries).

I'm not sure about food tech not being relevant.  I've met engineers who design the process equipment used on modern food manufacturing lines.
Children
No Data