This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

English literature GCSE

What does the IET and the engineering community think of the English literature GCSE? Is it relevant or beneficial for engineering or is it (like food tech) something that hardly anybody cares about?

English literature is a near compulsory GCSE in England but is now optional in Wales where it has experienced quite a heavy decline in the number of secondary school students taking it.
Parents

• Cheong Tsoi:

How many engineers will read a book once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Think about it?.....:-)

Personally I enjoy reading, being a 'book at bedtime' person, and I tend to have several on the go at once, but there is a strong history/ factual bias.

today.

The Black Swan (non fiction)

The rise of the Tudors (non fiction)

The tennis players balls (fiction, Stephen Fry)

Mortal Engines ( dystopian future)

These will all be over by next week, probably, depending on the work panic level.

Also I tend to take a book or two from the library on holiday,  and these tend to be things like spy stories or science fiction.

One of the possible advantages of having children is that one gets a licence (*) to re-visit things that one half remembers from childhood, Jennings, Biggles, loads of Enid Blyton, and now as my childen age more edgy stuff. At their age I was reading things like the Dr Who stories, but they prefer TV.

(*) not a real licence of course, but you can always smile at the librarian and say ' for the kids' if they look down at you.

The same licence allows you to play with things on display in toy shops..

Personally I'd put RE as the least used school subject, at least the way I was taught it in 1980 or so.

• Cheong Tsoi:

How many engineers will read a book once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Think about it?.....:-)

Personally I enjoy reading, being a 'book at bedtime' person, and I tend to have several on the go at once, but there is a strong history/ factual bias.

today.

The Black Swan (non fiction)

The rise of the Tudors (non fiction)

The tennis players balls (fiction, Stephen Fry)

Mortal Engines ( dystopian future)

These will all be over by next week, probably, depending on the work panic level.

Also I tend to take a book or two from the library on holiday,  and these tend to be things like spy stories or science fiction.

One of the possible advantages of having children is that one gets a licence (*) to re-visit things that one half remembers from childhood, Jennings, Biggles, loads of Enid Blyton, and now as my childen age more edgy stuff. At their age I was reading things like the Dr Who stories, but they prefer TV.

(*) not a real licence of course, but you can always smile at the librarian and say ' for the kids' if they look down at you.

The same licence allows you to play with things on display in toy shops..

Personally I'd put RE as the least used school subject, at least the way I was taught it in 1980 or so.

Children
No Data