This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

On this Day in 1981: Launch of the Sinclair ZX81

Okay, own up.... Who had a Sinclair ZX81 and what was the first thing you programmed on it...? ? Keyboard
Parents

• Howard Warren:

And let's hear it for the ZX81's contemporaries, like the Commodore PET, VIC 20, Oric 1, BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum etc. (Cue the background music from the Hovis advert...)

Now you're talking! I remember looking at the TRS-80 while at college (1977?) and a couple of friends got themselves early Acorn computers (Acorn System 1 and Acorn Atom respectively) but I stayed out of the computer revolution until I got a BBC micro. I also remember using either a Commodore Pet or an Apple II in the 80's at university, before we got to use IBM PCs for Pascal programming.

However the beauty of the ZX81 was its affordability, which brought computers into homes for the first time which probably fired up the enthusiasm to upgrade and sparked the market for the later computers mentioned.

• Howard Warren:

And let's hear it for the ZX81's contemporaries, like the Commodore PET, VIC 20, Oric 1, BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum etc. (Cue the background music from the Hovis advert...)

Now you're talking! I remember looking at the TRS-80 while at college (1977?) and a couple of friends got themselves early Acorn computers (Acorn System 1 and Acorn Atom respectively) but I stayed out of the computer revolution until I got a BBC micro. I also remember using either a Commodore Pet or an Apple II in the 80's at university, before we got to use IBM PCs for Pascal programming.

However the beauty of the ZX81 was its affordability, which brought computers into homes for the first time which probably fired up the enthusiasm to upgrade and sparked the market for the later computers mentioned.

Children
No Data