This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

On this Day in 1981: Launch of the Sinclair ZX81

Okay, own up.... Who had a Sinclair ZX81 and what was the first thing you programmed on it...? ? Keyboard
Parents
  • Yes, my rather perceptive Aunt purchased me a ZX81 as a 12-yr old. it spawned my career.

My Aunt was from the era that had programmed "for the government" in the 40s and 50s during the early days of computing. (whatever that meant) As a woman she was prevented from continuing to make computing her career. These days programming for the government in the very early days counjours up all sorts of exciting exploits but that may just be romantic nonsense. 

In any case, my Aunt purchased me a ZX81 mostly to give me an outlet for my interest in code and electronics. Although it clearly gave her a kick to think that computers could be purchased for the home and that her young nephew was excited and interested.
  • Yes, my rather perceptive Aunt purchased me a ZX81 as a 12-yr old. it spawned my career.

My Aunt was from the era that had programmed "for the government" in the 40s and 50s during the early days of computing. (whatever that meant) As a woman she was prevented from continuing to make computing her career. These days programming for the government in the very early days counjours up all sorts of exciting exploits but that may just be romantic nonsense. 

In any case, my Aunt purchased me a ZX81 mostly to give me an outlet for my interest in code and electronics. Although it clearly gave her a kick to think that computers could be purchased for the home and that her young nephew was excited and interested.
Children
No Data