This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is technology killing the NHS?

I'm sorry if this comes across as pessimistic but I believe that the NHS will die unless seriously intelligent reforms are made to it. These reforms will probably not be possible because of inertia in the system. What happened to Stafford Hospital is a snapshot of what will come to other NHS trusts.

When the NHS was established in the 1940s, technology in hospitals was far simpler. In many cases medical procedures were carried out using simple hand tools. The most complicated piece of equipment in a hospital was probably an X-Ray machine. A modern hospital contains tens of thousands of pieces of advanced machinery.

This costs a large amount of money to buy.

This costs a large amount of money to maintain and service.

This costs a large amount of money to provide staff training.

The amount of money spent by hospitals on advanced medical devices and IT equipment keeps increasing year after year and is a substantial part of the NHS budget.

If this isn't bad enough in itself, the NHS is not very good when it comes to using and deploying technology due to its cumbersome and antiquated management structure along with the mentality of a high proportion of its staff. The NHS is clearly not a visionary and progressive organisation.

Only a small fraction of medical devices are specifically designed for the NHS. A high proportion of them are off the shelf products primarily designed for the US healthcare market.

The situation is marginally better with software although NHS IT projects are known to have been expensive disasters.

Therefore, is technology killing the NHS?
Parents
  • Thanks

The NHS was always going down hill due to no R & D but I think a recap of history for those that were born after the corrupt 1980’s is required. The NHS at the start was set up correctly in that nursing staff controlled and ran the hospital. You only have to look at the success of Japanese engineering companies that have a policy of promoting from within the engineering ranks because those people know the industry best and know which way the technology is heading. In the 80’s money became the be all and end all of companies that were only interested in making the share price go up in the short term regardless of the long term. It was a mad period where companies were shutting down R & D departments because they were seen as high cost and lowering the share price. The smart companies renamed their departments so the idiot accountants could not see them. The NHS was starting to cost more due to drug prices and its own success then Thatcher did a job on it and brought in masses of administration staff, that we still suffer today, under the guise of streamlining it to reduce costs. Anybody with any sense could see it was a bad idea especially when administration was not the problem it just added a big cost load on the NHS that did not improve patient care. My view is Thatcher was lobbied by private medicine to destroy the NHS and she wanted to get rid of the cost from the government pockets. She didn’t bargain for the public reaction and that is probably the reason the Conservatives booted her out for giving them a bad name. She created the housing crisis of today by preventing councils from building houses so that private builders could supply the houses and reap the vast profits. Strange Thatcher went from a small semi in Wimbeldon to a half million pound Barratt home. The NHS administrators get far more money than the medical people and are just parasites. One CEO was given £225K to quit it is just obscene. If the NHS cost less and ran perfectly well before administrators were added what is the point in having them?

If I was in control of the NHS I would implement your vertical integration by giving all the administration the boot, put the nursing staff back in control, get GCHQ to set up a secure IT system under the direction of the nursing staff and of course set up a government R & D department that was not a closed shop to alternative treatments other than drugs. It will never happen so it is down to engineers to create the Electrotherapy devices that I know can cure any pathogen based disease and shake up the whole system up.

• Thanks

The NHS was always going down hill due to no R & D but I think a recap of history for those that were born after the corrupt 1980’s is required. The NHS at the start was set up correctly in that nursing staff controlled and ran the hospital. You only have to look at the success of Japanese engineering companies that have a policy of promoting from within the engineering ranks because those people know the industry best and know which way the technology is heading. In the 80’s money became the be all and end all of companies that were only interested in making the share price go up in the short term regardless of the long term. It was a mad period where companies were shutting down R & D departments because they were seen as high cost and lowering the share price. The smart companies renamed their departments so the idiot accountants could not see them. The NHS was starting to cost more due to drug prices and its own success then Thatcher did a job on it and brought in masses of administration staff, that we still suffer today, under the guise of streamlining it to reduce costs. Anybody with any sense could see it was a bad idea especially when administration was not the problem it just added a big cost load on the NHS that did not improve patient care. My view is Thatcher was lobbied by private medicine to destroy the NHS and she wanted to get rid of the cost from the government pockets. She didn’t bargain for the public reaction and that is probably the reason the Conservatives booted her out for giving them a bad name. She created the housing crisis of today by preventing councils from building houses so that private builders could supply the houses and reap the vast profits. Strange Thatcher went from a small semi in Wimbeldon to a half million pound Barratt home. The NHS administrators get far more money than the medical people and are just parasites. One CEO was given £225K to quit it is just obscene. If the NHS cost less and ran perfectly well before administrators were added what is the point in having them?

If I was in control of the NHS I would implement your vertical integration by giving all the administration the boot, put the nursing staff back in control, get GCHQ to set up a secure IT system under the direction of the nursing staff and of course set up a government R & D department that was not a closed shop to alternative treatments other than drugs. It will never happen so it is down to engineers to create the Electrotherapy devices that I know can cure any pathogen based disease and shake up the whole system up.

Children
No Data