This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cooling towers on power stations - why?

Hi All

I was working on a power station in Oman last month and it was gas fired with condensing steam turbines - no evaporation.  This week I'm working on a coal fired one in Poland, which has cooling towers and evaporation.  Is it something to do with the gas or just that they have no water in Oman?

Thanks

Stephen
Parents
  • The original question was making a comparison between a gas-powered power station and a coal-powered power station, the former apparently not having cooling towers whereas the latter had.

Could it be that the gas-powered station is using some sort of combined-cycle system and it does have cooling towers but that they don't look like the conventional, waisted concrete structures that dominated coal-powered power station sites and BBC climate change reporting?

As a non-power engineer my thinking would be that a) gas-powered stations are typically of lower output than coal-powered, and b) combined-cycle gives higher efficiency so there isn't as much low-grade heat to dump anyway. These two factors would lead to a smaller and different design for extracting the waste heat.

The Musandam Independent Power Project in Oman,  for instance, is rated at (only) 120 MW - " The facility uses 15 Wärtsilä 34DF dual-fuel gas-powered engines with the ability to switch to light fuel oil. The engines are designed to operate in high-temperature environments; temperatures in the region often top 120F. The plant also uses minimal water for cooling, an important consideration in the arid region. "
    5d1dcafcf63a678a0ccaebadb4abc8a6-huge-2l-image-musandam.jpg

(credit: Wärtsilä)
  • The original question was making a comparison between a gas-powered power station and a coal-powered power station, the former apparently not having cooling towers whereas the latter had.

Could it be that the gas-powered station is using some sort of combined-cycle system and it does have cooling towers but that they don't look like the conventional, waisted concrete structures that dominated coal-powered power station sites and BBC climate change reporting?

As a non-power engineer my thinking would be that a) gas-powered stations are typically of lower output than coal-powered, and b) combined-cycle gives higher efficiency so there isn't as much low-grade heat to dump anyway. These two factors would lead to a smaller and different design for extracting the waste heat.

The Musandam Independent Power Project in Oman,  for instance, is rated at (only) 120 MW - " The facility uses 15 Wärtsilä 34DF dual-fuel gas-powered engines with the ability to switch to light fuel oil. The engines are designed to operate in high-temperature environments; temperatures in the region often top 120F. The plant also uses minimal water for cooling, an important consideration in the arid region. "
    5d1dcafcf63a678a0ccaebadb4abc8a6-huge-2l-image-musandam.jpg

(credit: Wärtsilä)
Children
No Data