This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Cooling towers on power stations - why?

Hi All

I was working on a power station in Oman last month and it was gas fired with condensing steam turbines - no evaporation.  This week I'm working on a coal fired one in Poland, which has cooling towers and evaporation.  Is it something to do with the gas or just that they have no water in Oman?

Thanks

Stephen
Parents
  • Hi Guys - I get the picture now.  Power stations in deserts that run on gas are highly efficient and have no water supply, so condense.  Coal stations are near the coal supply and use local water eg Nottingham and Derby.  Nuclear power stations use the sea for cooling.  Greenpeace use the photos of the cooling towers because they look dramatic, but are unfortunately misleading, so counterproductive.

Have I got that right?

Stephen
  • Hi Guys - I get the picture now.  Power stations in deserts that run on gas are highly efficient and have no water supply, so condense.  Coal stations are near the coal supply and use local water eg Nottingham and Derby.  Nuclear power stations use the sea for cooling.  Greenpeace use the photos of the cooling towers because they look dramatic, but are unfortunately misleading, so counterproductive.

Have I got that right?

Stephen
Children
No Data