This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Lubricant for BS1363 sockets?

Ever had a problem trying to plug into a garden socket and had to exert more force than you would have liked to?  I think sometimes the plastic components don't slide as easily as they should when they have been in the weather (inside a proper outdoor enclosure)

Can anyone suggest a safe plastic lubricant for a BS1363 socket?
Parents
  • Well, If I thought the outside IP rated socket was worth saving then I might turn off the power to that circuit and take the socket face off then disconnect it from the backing plate and wiring. I would then remove the screws, if they exist, and gently remove the inner plate to the socket front. I suspect that the slider that stops youngsters from poking metal objects into the live hole until the correct plug is fitted has a spring that has rusted.

Now you can either :

1. Remove the spring and spray with WD40 and exercise until supple.

2. strip down an old socket and replace the spring

3. change the front plate

4. change the complete socket

The problem is that an IP rated socket outlet should be servicable for many years unless it hasn't been used and/or there has been water penetration and/or the socket is not IP rated and/or it has not been installed correctly.

Hope this helps

Legh
  • Well, If I thought the outside IP rated socket was worth saving then I might turn off the power to that circuit and take the socket face off then disconnect it from the backing plate and wiring. I would then remove the screws, if they exist, and gently remove the inner plate to the socket front. I suspect that the slider that stops youngsters from poking metal objects into the live hole until the correct plug is fitted has a spring that has rusted.

Now you can either :

1. Remove the spring and spray with WD40 and exercise until supple.

2. strip down an old socket and replace the spring

3. change the front plate

4. change the complete socket

The problem is that an IP rated socket outlet should be servicable for many years unless it hasn't been used and/or there has been water penetration and/or the socket is not IP rated and/or it has not been installed correctly.

Hope this helps

Legh
Children
No Data