This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is RCD required on an addition

Ok, we've just had a new utility room and downstairs toilet made and the downstairs ring-main has been extended to provide sockets, the chap who did it was suitably qualified. 

Now someone else has said that he should have fitted an RCD to meet modern regulations and I think that that would constitute best practice however, is it necessary?

According to BS7671:2018 On-Site Guide  Sect 7.8:

“Installers adding or amending circuits in dwellings will encounter older consumer units, i.e. those not complying with Regulation 421.1.201, for many years to come.  It is important that installers do not advise the replacement of consumer units simply because they do not comply with the current version of BS7671.  To ensure the ongoing use of such enclosures and assemblies, the installer must ensure the following:

Also BS 7671 Sect 651.2 Note 2 “Existing installations may have been designed and installed to conform to previous editions of BS7671, applicable at the time of their design and erection.  This does not necessarily mean that they are unsafe”.

Should he have fitted RCDs?
Parents
  • 'downstairs sockets' you say? I assume that the exsisting consummer unit has no facility to house a RCD?

Well these sockets could be utilized to supply power outlets to garden appliances. So I would say that on the probability that they could be used it would be wise to install a RCD to protect those sockets.

Legh
  • 'downstairs sockets' you say? I assume that the exsisting consummer unit has no facility to house a RCD?

Well these sockets could be utilized to supply power outlets to garden appliances. So I would say that on the probability that they could be used it would be wise to install a RCD to protect those sockets.

Legh
Children
No Data