This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

EC event for our Accreditation of Higher Education Programmes

Former Community Member
Former Community Member

Engineering Council

We're running an event for our Accreditation of Higher Education Programmes (AHEP) consultation - would be great to see a wide range of engineering academics there to discuss all aspects of the next version of AHEP. 10.30am-3pm, Wednesday 24 July at Middlesex University (Hendon) Please email accreditation@engc.org.uk ASAP to register. De Montfort University, Cranfield University, Buckinghamshire New University, Brunel University London, Birmingham City University, Birkbeck, University of London, Aston University, University of Kent, University of Canterbury, Heriot-Watt University, Durham University
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    As usual Roy, you provide a very informative post.

If I put the differences between Engineering Technology and Engineering aside here in the US we have something like  Legal authority to grant degrees that are granted by the States.

Then there is Institutional Accreditation such as Regional and National - these agencies are like QAA tasked with auditing and for the member institutions that meet the standard award Institutional Accreditation.

Many degrees that lead to occupational licenses or registration in protected professions also include the third level of  Programmatic Accreditation it can be Specialty or Professional Accreditation.

For the purpose of Quality assurance of programs that educate Engineers ABET is the leading organization for Engineering Programs Accreditation. This type of Accreditation is somewhat similar to EC UK licensed PEI such as IET 

accreditation of Engineering programs.

In the ABET not only Academic representation but very important Industry representation that strengthens the program, teams are comprised of Academia, Industry, Government and International representation. 

While the majority of Engineering programs are ABET-accredited there are some that are not.  Graduates of such programs may face limitations on the utility of their degrees.

I don't know the UK system that well but when I compare a QAA regulated Honours Degree in Engineering or Technology  I see a good degree but just like in the example above it's missing the EC UK PEI as IET accreditation. 

Maybe QAA regulation requires or should require IET or similar accreditation of the Engineering program. 

• Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    As usual Roy, you provide a very informative post.

If I put the differences between Engineering Technology and Engineering aside here in the US we have something like  Legal authority to grant degrees that are granted by the States.

Then there is Institutional Accreditation such as Regional and National - these agencies are like QAA tasked with auditing and for the member institutions that meet the standard award Institutional Accreditation.

Many degrees that lead to occupational licenses or registration in protected professions also include the third level of  Programmatic Accreditation it can be Specialty or Professional Accreditation.

For the purpose of Quality assurance of programs that educate Engineers ABET is the leading organization for Engineering Programs Accreditation. This type of Accreditation is somewhat similar to EC UK licensed PEI such as IET 

accreditation of Engineering programs.

In the ABET not only Academic representation but very important Industry representation that strengthens the program, teams are comprised of Academia, Industry, Government and International representation. 

While the majority of Engineering programs are ABET-accredited there are some that are not.  Graduates of such programs may face limitations on the utility of their degrees.

I don't know the UK system that well but when I compare a QAA regulated Honours Degree in Engineering or Technology  I see a good degree but just like in the example above it's missing the EC UK PEI as IET accreditation. 

Maybe QAA regulation requires or should require IET or similar accreditation of the Engineering program. 

Children
No Data