This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jump-starting a car made complicated?

How to start a car with a flat battery using jump leads. I have seen these directions in more than one user's handbook, across various makes.

Assuming both cars have negative battery earthing (not that I assume anything, especially if there is the likes of a Morris Minor involved):
  1. Connect positive of one car to the positive of the other.

• Connect the negative of the car with the good battery to some convenient point on the engine block of the car with the flat battery. 

No explanation given of why do it this way. It works. But it is not exactly an easy instruction to remember if the handbook is not available. My guess is that the vast majority of motorists simply connect directly to both battery terminals, red to red and black to black, which works perfectly well in all circumstances.

So why connect to the engine block instead of the battery terminal?  I figured out that this might give a lower resistance path on the "jump" circuit by eliminating the resistance in the connection from the battery negative to the earthing point and providing a more-direct path to the starter motor. But this resistance would be very low any way - far less than the resistance in the jump leads.

Any better suggestions, anybody?
Parents
  • Actually jump starting is one of those things that is not unconditionally safe - there is a risk of misconnection causing 24V across a few milliohms, risk of welding of the clips to the point of attachment, and no clear idea of how much current will flow for how long.

However, in practice it seems to work very well, and I certainly do often go for the battery terminals if that is the easiest spot, as I do not fancy burning the paint on a thin section by clipping to the wrong thing..
  • Actually jump starting is one of those things that is not unconditionally safe - there is a risk of misconnection causing 24V across a few milliohms, risk of welding of the clips to the point of attachment, and no clear idea of how much current will flow for how long.

However, in practice it seems to work very well, and I certainly do often go for the battery terminals if that is the easiest spot, as I do not fancy burning the paint on a thin section by clipping to the wrong thing..
Children
No Data