This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Jump-starting a car made complicated?

How to start a car with a flat battery using jump leads. I have seen these directions in more than one user's handbook, across various makes.

Assuming both cars have negative battery earthing (not that I assume anything, especially if there is the likes of a Morris Minor involved):
  1. Connect positive of one car to the positive of the other.

• Connect the negative of the car with the good battery to some convenient point on the engine block of the car with the flat battery. 

No explanation given of why do it this way. It works. But it is not exactly an easy instruction to remember if the handbook is not available. My guess is that the vast majority of motorists simply connect directly to both battery terminals, red to red and black to black, which works perfectly well in all circumstances.

So why connect to the engine block instead of the battery terminal?  I figured out that this might give a lower resistance path on the "jump" circuit by eliminating the resistance in the connection from the battery negative to the earthing point and providing a more-direct path to the starter motor. But this resistance would be very low any way - far less than the resistance in the jump leads.

Any better suggestions, anybody?
Parents
  • The sequence is mainly to prevent simple accidental short circuits between the live battery and it's chassis. The local chassis is a very big, easy to accidentally touch thing, especially when starting the circuit (i.e. accidental completion of the direct short).

I hadn't heard about the 'frozen' electrolyte issue, which adds another 'keep away' feature of the connection steps.

Making the final connection (where the bang could happen) be the chassis to chassis connection makes it the least complicated, most likely to succeed step, hence fewer 'bangs'.

What wasn't mentioned was what to do afterwards.

A: does the local (dead) battery need a partial charge - if yes, then run the good engine for a while, and then TURN OFF, before attempting to start the other vehicle, otherwise you can blow the diodes/electrics in the alternator as it tries to source the full starter load.

B: the local (flatish) battery is weak - allow the two batteries to equalise, ensure the other vehicle is OFF, start as normal, letting the jump leads provide the additional current for starting (noting that the jump leads are not as good as the direct leads from the flatish battery to the starter, hence the equalising, or step A).

Summary, The loose end of the Plus-Plus lead is at most risk of accidental short. Do it in the right direction (away from the danger battery) and get it right first. Everything else falls into place.
  • The sequence is mainly to prevent simple accidental short circuits between the live battery and it's chassis. The local chassis is a very big, easy to accidentally touch thing, especially when starting the circuit (i.e. accidental completion of the direct short).

I hadn't heard about the 'frozen' electrolyte issue, which adds another 'keep away' feature of the connection steps.

Making the final connection (where the bang could happen) be the chassis to chassis connection makes it the least complicated, most likely to succeed step, hence fewer 'bangs'.

What wasn't mentioned was what to do afterwards.

A: does the local (dead) battery need a partial charge - if yes, then run the good engine for a while, and then TURN OFF, before attempting to start the other vehicle, otherwise you can blow the diodes/electrics in the alternator as it tries to source the full starter load.

B: the local (flatish) battery is weak - allow the two batteries to equalise, ensure the other vehicle is OFF, start as normal, letting the jump leads provide the additional current for starting (noting that the jump leads are not as good as the direct leads from the flatish battery to the starter, hence the equalising, or step A).

Summary, The loose end of the Plus-Plus lead is at most risk of accidental short. Do it in the right direction (away from the danger battery) and get it right first. Everything else falls into place.
Children
No Data