This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

SMALL LOW COST HYBRID ELECTRIC CARS NEEDED

At present only large companies who can write-off car expanses are using hybrid luxury cars to advertise themselves as environmentally friendly wealthy companies.

What we want is a small smart light weigh car with under 1000cc engine that can do 200 miles on open road and then switch to a small low power battery/motor that can do just around 10 miles inside the city boundaries. 

NOTE.  One standard 12 volt lead/acid battery 100 amp-hour contains 1kWhr of energy.  Small petrol engine is typically 35kW; so 3 batteries will give 3 kWhr which is just sufficient.  Or is it???
Parents
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello everyone.

This is my first IET post so there we are 

I have several electric and hybrid cars also scooters, the subject close to my heart.

Several years ago I bought a Toyota Prius 1500cc 2007 now with 160000 miles covered. Fantastic vehicle ideal family use or for work, not suited to continuous hi speed motorway use at maximum demand, overall mpg approaching 60mpg open road use and upper 40s short local in warmer weather dropping in both uses in colder weather by about 15-20%. Batteries surviving well no issues provided onboard 12v battery ok. upto 500 range petrol, Traction Battery about 2kw and can be selected for quiet use giving low speed and about 2 miles range Wonderful diagramatic dash screen showing the hybrid in action glorious technicolour.

Also I have a 2014 24kw Nissan Leaf of 2014 currently at 24000 approx, range upto 90 miles but typically 70 miles without worry the 30kw versions probably a better bet and the later larger capacity battery even better.

Again a good allrounder happy spot about 55mph  Range improved by regen braking and appears happy in cross country environments + and - charging. Well developed and full of toys that the range probably means you wont need. Heating being a downer it needs battery energy, but you can charge and heat the car whilst plugged in a useful attribute, very cheap to operate, I Dont use commercial charging only home, using the Prius for longer trips 

I also have 2- 3kw rated electric scooters a GOVECS T  and a EMAX cousens the Govecs built in the EU and the EMAX in CHINA

Emax uses a hub motor and lead acid 4 battery set up top speed 38mph restricted and range of 25 miles plus , the Govecs using a belt drive and seperate chassis mounted motor, lithium batteries similar speed and range, both a/c 3 phase devices  so operate via complex control systems

A further play toy being a electric cycle topping out at 15mph and a bit more if questioned,  again of Chinese make very good.

My electric argument is that within a further 3-4 years the progress in weight range and energy density of the batteries will be like the comparison of  50s cars to 2000s provided the technology isnt over committed the biggest issue charging and infrastructure.

All the best Dave.
  • Former Community Member
    0 Former Community Member
    Hello everyone.

This is my first IET post so there we are 

I have several electric and hybrid cars also scooters, the subject close to my heart.

Several years ago I bought a Toyota Prius 1500cc 2007 now with 160000 miles covered. Fantastic vehicle ideal family use or for work, not suited to continuous hi speed motorway use at maximum demand, overall mpg approaching 60mpg open road use and upper 40s short local in warmer weather dropping in both uses in colder weather by about 15-20%. Batteries surviving well no issues provided onboard 12v battery ok. upto 500 range petrol, Traction Battery about 2kw and can be selected for quiet use giving low speed and about 2 miles range Wonderful diagramatic dash screen showing the hybrid in action glorious technicolour.

Also I have a 2014 24kw Nissan Leaf of 2014 currently at 24000 approx, range upto 90 miles but typically 70 miles without worry the 30kw versions probably a better bet and the later larger capacity battery even better.

Again a good allrounder happy spot about 55mph  Range improved by regen braking and appears happy in cross country environments + and - charging. Well developed and full of toys that the range probably means you wont need. Heating being a downer it needs battery energy, but you can charge and heat the car whilst plugged in a useful attribute, very cheap to operate, I Dont use commercial charging only home, using the Prius for longer trips 

I also have 2- 3kw rated electric scooters a GOVECS T  and a EMAX cousens the Govecs built in the EU and the EMAX in CHINA

Emax uses a hub motor and lead acid 4 battery set up top speed 38mph restricted and range of 25 miles plus , the Govecs using a belt drive and seperate chassis mounted motor, lithium batteries similar speed and range, both a/c 3 phase devices  so operate via complex control systems

A further play toy being a electric cycle topping out at 15mph and a bit more if questioned,  again of Chinese make very good.

My electric argument is that within a further 3-4 years the progress in weight range and energy density of the batteries will be like the comparison of  50s cars to 2000s provided the technology isnt over committed the biggest issue charging and infrastructure.

All the best Dave.
Children
No Data