This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

SMALL LOW COST HYBRID ELECTRIC CARS NEEDED

At present only large companies who can write-off car expanses are using hybrid luxury cars to advertise themselves as environmentally friendly wealthy companies.

What we want is a small smart light weigh car with under 1000cc engine that can do 200 miles on open road and then switch to a small low power battery/motor that can do just around 10 miles inside the city boundaries. 

NOTE.  One standard 12 volt lead/acid battery 100 amp-hour contains 1kWhr of energy.  Small petrol engine is typically 35kW; so 3 batteries will give 3 kWhr which is just sufficient.  Or is it???
Parents
  • It strikes me that giving the car an engine large enough to propel a car at motorway speeds, and then giving it the motors and control gear to run as a full EV isn't going to be very efficient, compact or cheap.  Instead, you could create an EV with a slightly bigger battery, so that it can run a decent range on battery.  Then add a small electric generator to stop the battery running flat on long journeys.  This has the advantage that the petrol engine does not need to be large enough to power the vehicle on its own, just to keep the battery topped up when averaged out over a journey.

At that point, you have the BMW i3 REX, which is no longer made, but still available second-hand.  The only down-side with that vehicle is that having been made by BMW, it isn't exactly cheap.
  • It strikes me that giving the car an engine large enough to propel a car at motorway speeds, and then giving it the motors and control gear to run as a full EV isn't going to be very efficient, compact or cheap.  Instead, you could create an EV with a slightly bigger battery, so that it can run a decent range on battery.  Then add a small electric generator to stop the battery running flat on long journeys.  This has the advantage that the petrol engine does not need to be large enough to power the vehicle on its own, just to keep the battery topped up when averaged out over a journey.

At that point, you have the BMW i3 REX, which is no longer made, but still available second-hand.  The only down-side with that vehicle is that having been made by BMW, it isn't exactly cheap.
Children
No Data