This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla

Just a thought, how might Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla fared in a Professional Review Interview?
Parents
  • What an interesting question! I'd need to re-read their respective biographies, but from what I remember (and I'm sure plenty of people will tell me if I've got this wrong ? ):

Nikola Tesla I think would absolutely sail through CEng. There might be questions about C2 "Plan, budget, organise, direct and control tasks, people and resources." but everything else seems pretty much covered.

Alan Turing: interesting and very relevant. A and B (and probably E) competences absolutely fine for CEng, but C & D? I honestly don't know. And I don't mean I don't think he would meet them, I just don't know at all. (But he would - I would sincerely hope - absolutely sail through FIET!)

The point being that UKSpec as is it currently written is not just about competence - or brilliance - at the technical aspects of engineering, it is about having a set of skills that includes an active interest, understanding and involvement in the wider engineering organisation at a variety of levels. As an example, it is common to find in organisations an engineer who is brilliant and adding huge value, but their peers say said "I wouldn't let them anywhere near a client". Or "I wouldn't trust them with their own budget". I'm not saying these would apply to AT (I don't know), but the point - to my mind - is that technical brilliance does not necessarily align with UKSpec. It can do, but it doesn't need to. And that's fine. Multiple PhD's and visiting professorships tell you one thing, CEng tells you another, and both may be equally valuable to an organisation. And the fact that one person may not be able to achieve both does not devalue either that person or the certification.

Sorry if I went off at a bit of a tangent there, I await with great interest what other responses there are.

Of course, back in the real world I'd bet they'd both get offered CEng if they applied at, say, 35 (to pick a randomish spot in their career) whether they strictly met UKSpec or not!

By the way, for anyone who finds themselves in mid-Croatia with a couple of hours to spare I can strongly recommend the Nikola Tesla Memorial Center in Smiljan https://www.mcnikolatesla.hr/  (there is a "Select Language" button halfway down the page) - my very much non-engineer wife enjoyed it nearly as much as I did!

Cheers,

Andy

• What an interesting question! I'd need to re-read their respective biographies, but from what I remember (and I'm sure plenty of people will tell me if I've got this wrong ? ):

Nikola Tesla I think would absolutely sail through CEng. There might be questions about C2 "Plan, budget, organise, direct and control tasks, people and resources." but everything else seems pretty much covered.

Alan Turing: interesting and very relevant. A and B (and probably E) competences absolutely fine for CEng, but C & D? I honestly don't know. And I don't mean I don't think he would meet them, I just don't know at all. (But he would - I would sincerely hope - absolutely sail through FIET!)

The point being that UKSpec as is it currently written is not just about competence - or brilliance - at the technical aspects of engineering, it is about having a set of skills that includes an active interest, understanding and involvement in the wider engineering organisation at a variety of levels. As an example, it is common to find in organisations an engineer who is brilliant and adding huge value, but their peers say said "I wouldn't let them anywhere near a client". Or "I wouldn't trust them with their own budget". I'm not saying these would apply to AT (I don't know), but the point - to my mind - is that technical brilliance does not necessarily align with UKSpec. It can do, but it doesn't need to. And that's fine. Multiple PhD's and visiting professorships tell you one thing, CEng tells you another, and both may be equally valuable to an organisation. And the fact that one person may not be able to achieve both does not devalue either that person or the certification.

Sorry if I went off at a bit of a tangent there, I await with great interest what other responses there are.

Of course, back in the real world I'd bet they'd both get offered CEng if they applied at, say, 35 (to pick a randomish spot in their career) whether they strictly met UKSpec or not!

By the way, for anyone who finds themselves in mid-Croatia with a couple of hours to spare I can strongly recommend the Nikola Tesla Memorial Center in Smiljan https://www.mcnikolatesla.hr/  (there is a "Select Language" button halfway down the page) - my very much non-engineer wife enjoyed it nearly as much as I did!

Cheers,

Andy

Children
No Data