This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla

Just a thought, how might Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla fared in a Professional Review Interview?
Parents

• ... I would say that it is most unfair to judge the likes of Alan Turing, Nikola Tesla, Michael Faraday, and many more past great scientists/engineers, to today's modern day requirement for CEng registration; just as it would be considered unfair to judge present day members who achieved their CEng registration many years ago to today's standards. 

The fairest way would be to hypothetically consider whether Alan Turing, would have met the requirement for CEng registration in the 1940s, where the UKSpec (or its equivalent) had been drawn up by peers of his generation? Well, given his enormous achievements in the field of computing, the answer would most definitely be yes. The same criteria should also be applied to greats from their own time period, and not our time period. 

The students should never judge their masters. As scientists and engineers we stand on the shoulders of the greats. We wouldn't be here as engineers were it not for the achievements of the likes of Faraday, and other greats.

I'd still say that if 'we' have stood on the shoulder then we should still be able to make a reasonable stab at an assessment, including using the UK-spec as a guide as it would help others. There are many cases where candidates (CEng) show new and innovative work in areas that are new to their industry, but old hat to others, especially in the older established 'big safety' areas like railways or nuclear or parts of oil and gas, etc. It's about the contribution to 'progress' in engineering.

These same qualities apply to Heaviside, Maxwell, Tesla, Preece, Flowers, Whittle, Turing, Marconi, Edison, etc, etc. They can slot into, for instance, the academic 'leadership' role, the practical application roles, etc. and all show improvements and and benefits that we would recognise. The hard bit as a PRA is often to get candidates to step out from behind the corporate job CV and simply present themselves as an ENGINEER.

Always ask "Do you profess to be an Engineer?", and wait, wait, wait, for an answer. I'd expect all those we have mentioned would be able to say "Yes, I've made my contribution, here it is ...."

• ... I would say that it is most unfair to judge the likes of Alan Turing, Nikola Tesla, Michael Faraday, and many more past great scientists/engineers, to today's modern day requirement for CEng registration; just as it would be considered unfair to judge present day members who achieved their CEng registration many years ago to today's standards. 

The fairest way would be to hypothetically consider whether Alan Turing, would have met the requirement for CEng registration in the 1940s, where the UKSpec (or its equivalent) had been drawn up by peers of his generation? Well, given his enormous achievements in the field of computing, the answer would most definitely be yes. The same criteria should also be applied to greats from their own time period, and not our time period. 

The students should never judge their masters. As scientists and engineers we stand on the shoulders of the greats. We wouldn't be here as engineers were it not for the achievements of the likes of Faraday, and other greats.

I'd still say that if 'we' have stood on the shoulder then we should still be able to make a reasonable stab at an assessment, including using the UK-spec as a guide as it would help others. There are many cases where candidates (CEng) show new and innovative work in areas that are new to their industry, but old hat to others, especially in the older established 'big safety' areas like railways or nuclear or parts of oil and gas, etc. It's about the contribution to 'progress' in engineering.

These same qualities apply to Heaviside, Maxwell, Tesla, Preece, Flowers, Whittle, Turing, Marconi, Edison, etc, etc. They can slot into, for instance, the academic 'leadership' role, the practical application roles, etc. and all show improvements and and benefits that we would recognise. The hard bit as a PRA is often to get candidates to step out from behind the corporate job CV and simply present themselves as an ENGINEER.

Always ask "Do you profess to be an Engineer?", and wait, wait, wait, for an answer. I'd expect all those we have mentioned would be able to say "Yes, I've made my contribution, here it is ...."

Children
No Data