This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla

Just a thought, how might Alan Turing or Nikola Tesla fared in a Professional Review Interview?
Parents
  • To go back to the question “would Alan Turing make CEng?”  Firstly we must remember that Turing was not an engineer but a mathematician.  From what I have read (put the film to one side – it was not bad but a bit of a Hollywood mish-mash), he was academically brilliant but not much of a manager.

Having a guess on how he might perform at interview, A1 and 2 I would say Exceptional.   He was excellent at identifying projects and opportunities so B1 Exceptional, not good at completing them (he left it to others) so B2 “Some Competence”, B3 probably “Full Competence”.

He was not much good at project management (Some Competence), but was good at getting and spending funds (Competence).  Not a man manager, and tended to upset people, (Some Competence, being generous), probably OK at “continuous improvement” (Competence).

D skills would not be good although probably “Some Competence”

E, judged on the standards of the day would be judged as “Competent” except E5 “Ethics” would be “Exceptional”.

So, overall just about a pass with the exceptionals compensating for the “Some Competence”

I don’t believe that the EC has gone too far in developing and updating CEng, it has to move with the needs of the profession; and don’t think that we of the older generation would do that badly at interview.  If you are reasonably active and interested, I would suspect that you would do rather better than you think.

David

• To go back to the question “would Alan Turing make CEng?”  Firstly we must remember that Turing was not an engineer but a mathematician.  From what I have read (put the film to one side – it was not bad but a bit of a Hollywood mish-mash), he was academically brilliant but not much of a manager.

Having a guess on how he might perform at interview, A1 and 2 I would say Exceptional.   He was excellent at identifying projects and opportunities so B1 Exceptional, not good at completing them (he left it to others) so B2 “Some Competence”, B3 probably “Full Competence”.

He was not much good at project management (Some Competence), but was good at getting and spending funds (Competence).  Not a man manager, and tended to upset people, (Some Competence, being generous), probably OK at “continuous improvement” (Competence).

D skills would not be good although probably “Some Competence”

E, judged on the standards of the day would be judged as “Competent” except E5 “Ethics” would be “Exceptional”.

So, overall just about a pass with the exceptionals compensating for the “Some Competence”

I don’t believe that the EC has gone too far in developing and updating CEng, it has to move with the needs of the profession; and don’t think that we of the older generation would do that badly at interview.  If you are reasonably active and interested, I would suspect that you would do rather better than you think.

David

Children
No Data