This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Do you ever feel like you're out of your depth?

I currently work for a medium sized M&E contractor involved in large commercial and residential projects.

Having worked there for several years and despite considering myself to be a competent and knowledgeable engineer, I can’t help shake the feeling that I am out of my depth.

Whilst I understand a great deal across many different areas, there is still so much technically I am unsure of. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

My main concern is that this gap in knowledge will inevitably cause a serious issue somewhere down the line and put someone’s life, or a building at risk (for instance incorrectly sizing life-safety systems).

I suspect it is just a case of grinding it out and eventually things will start clicking into place. I am always expanding my knowledge both  in and out of work so feel I will get there soon enough.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Despite the stresses I enjoy building services engineering so don’t want to call it a day just yet.

Stressed out in Salford

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • First take comfort in the fact that no-one is an expert at everything. It is important to keep stretching yourself and expanding your knowledge. The most dangerous 'engineers' are those who think they know it all.

It sounds like you are aware of your limitations and that is good. If you feel you are beyond what you know, ask for help. This can be anything from "I have done this but due to the importance of the system could you please double check it for me" to "I've never had to do one of these before - please could you help me". Gradually you will close the gaps in your knowledge until you suddenly find that others are coming to you for the advice you used to have to seek.

I knew I had got there when I came back to my desk with a coffee to see the whole department discussing a problem, and one of them said "We'll ask Alasdair, he'll know!" (and I did - though it was a problem I had seen only once before, about 20 years previously in Finland.....)

Alasdair
  • First take comfort in the fact that no-one is an expert at everything. It is important to keep stretching yourself and expanding your knowledge. The most dangerous 'engineers' are those who think they know it all.

It sounds like you are aware of your limitations and that is good. If you feel you are beyond what you know, ask for help. This can be anything from "I have done this but due to the importance of the system could you please double check it for me" to "I've never had to do one of these before - please could you help me". Gradually you will close the gaps in your knowledge until you suddenly find that others are coming to you for the advice you used to have to seek.

I knew I had got there when I came back to my desk with a coffee to see the whole department discussing a problem, and one of them said "We'll ask Alasdair, he'll know!" (and I did - though it was a problem I had seen only once before, about 20 years previously in Finland.....)

Alasdair
Children
No Data