This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Do you ever feel like you're out of your depth?

I currently work for a medium sized M&E contractor involved in large commercial and residential projects.

Having worked there for several years and despite considering myself to be a competent and knowledgeable engineer, I can’t help shake the feeling that I am out of my depth.

Whilst I understand a great deal across many different areas, there is still so much technically I am unsure of. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

My main concern is that this gap in knowledge will inevitably cause a serious issue somewhere down the line and put someone’s life, or a building at risk (for instance incorrectly sizing life-safety systems).

I suspect it is just a case of grinding it out and eventually things will start clicking into place. I am always expanding my knowledge both  in and out of work so feel I will get there soon enough.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Despite the stresses I enjoy building services engineering so don’t want to call it a day just yet.

Stressed out in Salford

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • I have thought about this a bit more and would add to my previous response to say that if you never feel like you're out of your depth then you aren't pushing your boundaries enough.

We all need to continually improve and the way to improve is to move out of your comfort zone. It is only when you start to feel out of your depth that you know you are pushing that boundary, Feeling out of your depth once in a while is fine, as long as it is not a permanent feeling.

I would endorse Andy's comments about being in meetings and thinking "everyone else knows what they are talking about" but I have also been in meetings where I have gone in thinking "I don't know why they asked me as I know almost nothing about this" but come out realising "I knew practically nothing but everyone else knew less.....". Just don't be afraid to ask questions even if you know it may reveal your limitations - you may learn a lot (even if it is just "everyone else seems to be in the same boat as me"....)

Alasdair
  • I have thought about this a bit more and would add to my previous response to say that if you never feel like you're out of your depth then you aren't pushing your boundaries enough.

We all need to continually improve and the way to improve is to move out of your comfort zone. It is only when you start to feel out of your depth that you know you are pushing that boundary, Feeling out of your depth once in a while is fine, as long as it is not a permanent feeling.

I would endorse Andy's comments about being in meetings and thinking "everyone else knows what they are talking about" but I have also been in meetings where I have gone in thinking "I don't know why they asked me as I know almost nothing about this" but come out realising "I knew practically nothing but everyone else knew less.....". Just don't be afraid to ask questions even if you know it may reveal your limitations - you may learn a lot (even if it is just "everyone else seems to be in the same boat as me"....)

Alasdair
Children
No Data