This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Do you ever feel like you're out of your depth?

I currently work for a medium sized M&E contractor involved in large commercial and residential projects.

Having worked there for several years and despite considering myself to be a competent and knowledgeable engineer, I can’t help shake the feeling that I am out of my depth.

Whilst I understand a great deal across many different areas, there is still so much technically I am unsure of. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

My main concern is that this gap in knowledge will inevitably cause a serious issue somewhere down the line and put someone’s life, or a building at risk (for instance incorrectly sizing life-safety systems).

I suspect it is just a case of grinding it out and eventually things will start clicking into place. I am always expanding my knowledge both  in and out of work so feel I will get there soon enough.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Despite the stresses I enjoy building services engineering so don’t want to call it a day just yet.

Stressed out in Salford

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • A few years ago I learnt a very valuable lesson.

I was on a training course (the subject of which escapes me at the moment) and after a very lengthy explanation of something important, the tutor asked if we’d understood what he’d said…

To be honest, it all sounded completely 'double-dutch' to me but looking around the room at my colleagues, who were all nodding as an indication that they knew what he was talking about, I felt a little ‘out of my depth’…

Now I could have just nodded along with my colleagues, kept quiet and hoped that all would become clear as we went on but something inside said ‘No…This is important. Ask him to clarify what he just said’ 

So I stuck up my hand and said ‘I’m sorry but could you explain that again for me as I didn’t understand’ fully expecting there to be groans and eye rolls from my colleagues for being the idiot who didn’t get it. I also added that if everyone just wanted to move on then I was happy to stay behind after the class had finished so he could go through it with me one more time. 

However, just as I said that, someone else piped up and said ‘’Yes could you go through that again please?’ As he explained it over again it became clear that NO ONE in the room had really understood what he’d first said!

Afterwards, many of them came up to me and thanked me for being the one to stick up my hand and ask for clarification as they felt too embarrassed to do it themselves and didn’t want to look stupid in front of their colleagues or the tutor himself.

On that day I learned that it's fear of embarrassment  that holds people back and from that moment on, I always pipe up if I don’t understand or feel completely out of my depth with something. 

One of my favourite phrases (I have a few!) is ‘and this is where my talent expires’ meaning that beyond this point I’m totally out of my comfort zone and I’ll need time to study and learn the thing that I need to do.  I like to call it ‘managing other’s expectations of me’ ?

So yes, it’s okay (and quite healthy)  to feel and to recognise that you're out of your depth but it’s how you deal with it that matters the most. Understand and note where there are gaps in your knowledge and take steps to fill in those gaps i.e. keep up with CPD and never stop learning! 

• A few years ago I learnt a very valuable lesson.

I was on a training course (the subject of which escapes me at the moment) and after a very lengthy explanation of something important, the tutor asked if we’d understood what he’d said…

To be honest, it all sounded completely 'double-dutch' to me but looking around the room at my colleagues, who were all nodding as an indication that they knew what he was talking about, I felt a little ‘out of my depth’…

Now I could have just nodded along with my colleagues, kept quiet and hoped that all would become clear as we went on but something inside said ‘No…This is important. Ask him to clarify what he just said’ 

So I stuck up my hand and said ‘I’m sorry but could you explain that again for me as I didn’t understand’ fully expecting there to be groans and eye rolls from my colleagues for being the idiot who didn’t get it. I also added that if everyone just wanted to move on then I was happy to stay behind after the class had finished so he could go through it with me one more time. 

However, just as I said that, someone else piped up and said ‘’Yes could you go through that again please?’ As he explained it over again it became clear that NO ONE in the room had really understood what he’d first said!

Afterwards, many of them came up to me and thanked me for being the one to stick up my hand and ask for clarification as they felt too embarrassed to do it themselves and didn’t want to look stupid in front of their colleagues or the tutor himself.

On that day I learned that it's fear of embarrassment  that holds people back and from that moment on, I always pipe up if I don’t understand or feel completely out of my depth with something. 

One of my favourite phrases (I have a few!) is ‘and this is where my talent expires’ meaning that beyond this point I’m totally out of my comfort zone and I’ll need time to study and learn the thing that I need to do.  I like to call it ‘managing other’s expectations of me’ ?

So yes, it’s okay (and quite healthy)  to feel and to recognise that you're out of your depth but it’s how you deal with it that matters the most. Understand and note where there are gaps in your knowledge and take steps to fill in those gaps i.e. keep up with CPD and never stop learning! 

Children
No Data