This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Do you ever feel like you're out of your depth?

I currently work for a medium sized M&E contractor involved in large commercial and residential projects.

Having worked there for several years and despite considering myself to be a competent and knowledgeable engineer, I can’t help shake the feeling that I am out of my depth.

Whilst I understand a great deal across many different areas, there is still so much technically I am unsure of. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

My main concern is that this gap in knowledge will inevitably cause a serious issue somewhere down the line and put someone’s life, or a building at risk (for instance incorrectly sizing life-safety systems).

I suspect it is just a case of grinding it out and eventually things will start clicking into place. I am always expanding my knowledge both  in and out of work so feel I will get there soon enough.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Despite the stresses I enjoy building services engineering so don’t want to call it a day just yet.

Stressed out in Salford

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • Many years ago (1990 IIRC) I was set in a Fields and Circuits lecture, the lecturer had literally written a book if not the book on the subject (I know this as buying the book, from him, or producing a receipt from the campus book store was a requirement for getting anything above a D on any assignment he marked).  He was working through a long derivation that included both lowercase w and lower case omega (basically a curly w) which looked pretty much identical in his handwriting.  As is common in such lectures he periodically skipped a few steps, one of these skips being immedately before he wrote the final solution on the board.

I'd gotten lost quite early in the derivation so put my hand up to ask for a clarification.  He eventually acknowlewdged me when he complered the derivation but refused to go back and clarify, he said I should see one of his research students and get them to walk me through.  I made an appointment with one of his research students and explained the issue.  As we walked through the derivation we found that he had introduced an error in his first skip and carried it through to the end then apparently just ignored it and written the known solution.  This particular research student had been an undergraduate on the same course I was doing and went back to his notes from that lecture, the same error was there.

This lecturer had been teaching this course for at least 20 years and in all likelihood had been teaching that exact same lecture, with the exact same error, the whole time.  Apparently I was the first student to admit to being lost and needing clarification.

Just goes to prove the adage that a lecture is the transfer of information from the lecturer's notes to the student's notes without passing throguh the brain of either.

I have subsequently discovered that his book is known for requiring a sizeable erratta.
  • Many years ago (1990 IIRC) I was set in a Fields and Circuits lecture, the lecturer had literally written a book if not the book on the subject (I know this as buying the book, from him, or producing a receipt from the campus book store was a requirement for getting anything above a D on any assignment he marked).  He was working through a long derivation that included both lowercase w and lower case omega (basically a curly w) which looked pretty much identical in his handwriting.  As is common in such lectures he periodically skipped a few steps, one of these skips being immedately before he wrote the final solution on the board.

I'd gotten lost quite early in the derivation so put my hand up to ask for a clarification.  He eventually acknowlewdged me when he complered the derivation but refused to go back and clarify, he said I should see one of his research students and get them to walk me through.  I made an appointment with one of his research students and explained the issue.  As we walked through the derivation we found that he had introduced an error in his first skip and carried it through to the end then apparently just ignored it and written the known solution.  This particular research student had been an undergraduate on the same course I was doing and went back to his notes from that lecture, the same error was there.

This lecturer had been teaching this course for at least 20 years and in all likelihood had been teaching that exact same lecture, with the exact same error, the whole time.  Apparently I was the first student to admit to being lost and needing clarification.

Just goes to prove the adage that a lecture is the transfer of information from the lecturer's notes to the student's notes without passing throguh the brain of either.

I have subsequently discovered that his book is known for requiring a sizeable erratta.
Children
No Data