This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Calvin Asks: Do you ever feel like you're out of your depth?

I currently work for a medium sized M&E contractor involved in large commercial and residential projects.

Having worked there for several years and despite considering myself to be a competent and knowledgeable engineer, I can’t help shake the feeling that I am out of my depth.

Whilst I understand a great deal across many different areas, there is still so much technically I am unsure of. Jack of all trades, master of none springs to mind.

My main concern is that this gap in knowledge will inevitably cause a serious issue somewhere down the line and put someone’s life, or a building at risk (for instance incorrectly sizing life-safety systems).

I suspect it is just a case of grinding it out and eventually things will start clicking into place. I am always expanding my knowledge both  in and out of work so feel I will get there soon enough.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

Despite the stresses I enjoy building services engineering so don’t want to call it a day just yet.

Stressed out in Salford

Need advice but  too shy to ask? Have a question of a ‘sensitive’ nature and would prefer to remain anonymous? Need to get something off your chest but worried about the boss (or your colleagues) finding out? Then ‘Ask Calvin’ !  

Submit your questions confidentially to AskCalvin@theiet.org and Calvin will ask the community on your behalf to give you the anonymity you want to find the advice you need.

Parents
  • And I can relate to both of these - actually many years ago when I worked at a University, the observation was that only two types of people ask a lecturer the  really tricky questions - either first year students at the front who don't mind looking foolish, or Visiting Emeritus Professors at the back, who have reached a peak and again, have nothing to lose by admitting a gap in the knowledge.
  • And I can relate to both of these - actually many years ago when I worked at a University, the observation was that only two types of people ask a lecturer the  really tricky questions - either first year students at the front who don't mind looking foolish, or Visiting Emeritus Professors at the back, who have reached a peak and again, have nothing to lose by admitting a gap in the knowledge.
Children
No Data