This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

A Levels and results - does anyone have an opinion relevant to The IET ?

In the news today. This is the pathway to becoming an Engineer for many and considered "equivalent" to having completed a skilled apprenticeship by the educational establishment.
Parents
  • A levels are ONE way, not THE way, towards a career in engineering. An A level can be followed by university or an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship does not preclude university later. Apprenticeships are good for practical experience. University courses can include industrial placement, where practical experience can be gained. There is plenty of flexibility. Many teenagers are fed up with school and long for a practical working environment.

I followed all these routes. A levels, then apprenticeship then study for a degree later. I am not pretending that every career decision I made was a good one, but this was a path that suited me well and I don't regret it.
  • A levels are ONE way, not THE way, towards a career in engineering. An A level can be followed by university or an apprenticeship. An apprenticeship does not preclude university later. Apprenticeships are good for practical experience. University courses can include industrial placement, where practical experience can be gained. There is plenty of flexibility. Many teenagers are fed up with school and long for a practical working environment.

I followed all these routes. A levels, then apprenticeship then study for a degree later. I am not pretending that every career decision I made was a good one, but this was a path that suited me well and I don't regret it.
Children
No Data