This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

A Levels and results - does anyone have an opinion relevant to The IET ?

In the news today. This is the pathway to becoming an Engineer for many and considered "equivalent" to having completed a skilled apprenticeship by the educational establishment.
Parents
  • Does it matter? A levels are primarily used to help Universities select their candidates for that year, so other than perhaps causing issues with candidates who have deferred for a year or two relative grades between A level years probably doesn't have much impact on anyone?

Rather different from degree grade inflation which sticks with the candidate for life - recruiters will make a first pass judgement on degree grades despite the fact that it could be (and often is) argued that many 2.2 passes of 30-40 years ago would be firsts today. (With all the above points applied to that discussion!)

But I am aware that I only looking at this from one point of view, of Uni entry - do A level results hang around people's careers for (say) 10 years or more?

Although of course I'm still grumpy about my own A level results - but they were entirely my own fault! Spent too much time fiddling around with electronics - which proved useful in the end anyway.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Does it matter? A levels are primarily used to help Universities select their candidates for that year, so other than perhaps causing issues with candidates who have deferred for a year or two relative grades between A level years probably doesn't have much impact on anyone?

Rather different from degree grade inflation which sticks with the candidate for life - recruiters will make a first pass judgement on degree grades despite the fact that it could be (and often is) argued that many 2.2 passes of 30-40 years ago would be firsts today. (With all the above points applied to that discussion!)

But I am aware that I only looking at this from one point of view, of Uni entry - do A level results hang around people's careers for (say) 10 years or more?

Although of course I'm still grumpy about my own A level results - but they were entirely my own fault! Spent too much time fiddling around with electronics - which proved useful in the end anyway.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data