This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Eddy currents in SWA

We have a very high current industrial heater (about 1,000A) we are using SWA, but due to the large diameter we are using single core to make the bending easier. It seems to me that we will get eddy currents in the armour since it forms a shorted turn. Does anyone have any experience of this? In a ferrous enclosure the eddy currents are prevented with a slot and in a transformer any screens around the windings are have an insulation to prevent this.

Is the effect perhaps negligible ie wrt to the cable resistance?

Someone here had a theory that it would be better if we earthed the screen only at one end but I can't see how that would make any difference personally.

Help please

Stephen

Parents
  • Thanks for the replies.  This was done by our customer, who installed a heater we supplied.  It's a very secure site so I wanted to do my research before I get back on site.  The job has been tampered with by a number of people with half backed ideas already, so I want to get the theory well understood.

Stephen
  • Thanks for the replies.  This was done by our customer, who installed a heater we supplied.  It's a very secure site so I wanted to do my research before I get back on site.  The job has been tampered with by a number of people with half backed ideas already, so I want to get the theory well understood.

Stephen
Children
No Data