This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Confessions of an Electrician...

So while we’ve not been able to log into the community (you can do so now if you didn’t already know) I’ve been keeping myself out of mischief Blush by going through some of the discussion topics on the old Wiring Regs forum and came across this one: Walking off site where some of you were sharing stories about your experiences with client's pets while on the job. 

So I thought it would be a bit of fun to ask you to share some of your funny/bizarre or just weird stories (keeping it relatively clean and protecting the privacy of others please!) from any jobs you’ve been on or done.

… And I’ll send some swag to the author of the story that gets voted the ‘Most helpful/liked’ from the community so don't forget to hit that 'Good Answer' link on any that make you chuckle! (Log in required)

Parents
  • Some 30 or 40 years ago I was a bit short of work and spotted a new local firm advertising for local NICEIC approved sub contractors so I applied and it turned out they won a contract to install upgraded heating controls in a strange triangular building near earls court. I've never done sub-contract work for another contractor before but apparently they supply all materials and I just have to get there and supply tools.

The catch was It was a concrete office block and there were long runs of plastic tube to be installed down the corridors. The first sign of trouble was it was in cold weather and heating on during the day but turned off overnight. So I simply asked where the slip couplers were. The look on the face of the main contractor suggested he had no idea what they were and why I wanted them and suggested I leave one end of the coupler loose and simply stuck the other one on the tube.  This continued right up to the boiler room at the end of each 'leg' on each floor.

I'm surprised I stuck it for as long as I did as the temperature difference must have been about 20 or 30 degrees and surprise,surprise it was all my fault when the joints separated. Never again!!
  • Some 30 or 40 years ago I was a bit short of work and spotted a new local firm advertising for local NICEIC approved sub contractors so I applied and it turned out they won a contract to install upgraded heating controls in a strange triangular building near earls court. I've never done sub-contract work for another contractor before but apparently they supply all materials and I just have to get there and supply tools.

The catch was It was a concrete office block and there were long runs of plastic tube to be installed down the corridors. The first sign of trouble was it was in cold weather and heating on during the day but turned off overnight. So I simply asked where the slip couplers were. The look on the face of the main contractor suggested he had no idea what they were and why I wanted them and suggested I leave one end of the coupler loose and simply stuck the other one on the tube.  This continued right up to the boiler room at the end of each 'leg' on each floor.

I'm surprised I stuck it for as long as I did as the temperature difference must have been about 20 or 30 degrees and surprise,surprise it was all my fault when the joints separated. Never again!!
Children
No Data