This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Confessions of an Electrician...

So while we’ve not been able to log into the community (you can do so now if you didn’t already know) I’ve been keeping myself out of mischief Blush by going through some of the discussion topics on the old Wiring Regs forum and came across this one: Walking off site where some of you were sharing stories about your experiences with client's pets while on the job. 

So I thought it would be a bit of fun to ask you to share some of your funny/bizarre or just weird stories (keeping it relatively clean and protecting the privacy of others please!) from any jobs you’ve been on or done.

… And I’ll send some swag to the author of the story that gets voted the ‘Most helpful/liked’ from the community so don't forget to hit that 'Good Answer' link on any that make you chuckle! (Log in required)

Parents
  • There are some interesting posts in the archive.. I remember this one of Zs for example 

Nothing so odd to report for myself, but  a few funnies over the years.

I have been involved in needing to replace the shear pin on a generator set where in effect it revved up, then the contactor closed and put the genset in parallel with  an incorrectly phased supply -very much a red face moment. Well at least one of us ought to have been concentrating harder.

I have been stopped by a breathless range officer from hammering in an earth rod because of a risk of finding unexploded ordnance buried under where we were going to set up.  ("you are now going to put the lump hammer back in the truck, very carefully, and then reverse it out, very slowly and gently, and I am going to stand over there and watch")

I have been removing an elderly bladed fuse, in hindsight, perhaps with a little too much gorrilla muscle, and the board came of the wall on its fibre rawl plugs too.

I have removed the downstairs lighting fuse for a house, then removed the hallway light fitting and ceiling rose, and fitted a new fitting, only for the light to come on in my hand. Not on that circuit after all then...

On a similar note, I have climbed into the loft with the fuse of the circuit I was working on safe in in my back pocket, and then cut through what I thought was the right cable, and been greeted by a load bang and a flash, and a very nasty shock limited by the RCD.

I have also carefully laid in and plastered over a cable in a wall, and then a couple of weeks later, drilled into it.
  • There are some interesting posts in the archive.. I remember this one of Zs for example 

Nothing so odd to report for myself, but  a few funnies over the years.

I have been involved in needing to replace the shear pin on a generator set where in effect it revved up, then the contactor closed and put the genset in parallel with  an incorrectly phased supply -very much a red face moment. Well at least one of us ought to have been concentrating harder.

I have been stopped by a breathless range officer from hammering in an earth rod because of a risk of finding unexploded ordnance buried under where we were going to set up.  ("you are now going to put the lump hammer back in the truck, very carefully, and then reverse it out, very slowly and gently, and I am going to stand over there and watch")

I have been removing an elderly bladed fuse, in hindsight, perhaps with a little too much gorrilla muscle, and the board came of the wall on its fibre rawl plugs too.

I have removed the downstairs lighting fuse for a house, then removed the hallway light fitting and ceiling rose, and fitted a new fitting, only for the light to come on in my hand. Not on that circuit after all then...

On a similar note, I have climbed into the loft with the fuse of the circuit I was working on safe in in my back pocket, and then cut through what I thought was the right cable, and been greeted by a load bang and a flash, and a very nasty shock limited by the RCD.

I have also carefully laid in and plastered over a cable in a wall, and then a couple of weeks later, drilled into it.
Children
No Data