This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Ferrybridge Gone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7294971/Boom-Explosives-destroy-cooling-tower-spectacular-blast.html

Z.
Parents
  • Yes, this is not the first time a cooling tower at Ferrybridge "C " has crashed to the ground. In 1965, Mother Nature had a good puff and took out three of them. Someone with a camera happened to be at the right place at the right time and took this dramatic picture.

sse.com/media/389267/HistoricFerrybridge4.jpg

(Picture from SSE, last owners of Ferrybridge "C" under privatisation)  Note also in the picture the pylon - sorry - transmission tower, and the excessive and inconsistent lean on the insulating pot suspension strings.

Ferrybridge "B" was a distinctive landmark on the A1, and in due course Ferrybridge "C" became an even bigger landmark on the A1(M) and M62 - and of course the railway. I drove by in February 2016 and saw for the last time Ferrybridge "C" "in steam", with just Unit 3 running. I'll be passing again in September to see it for the last time with its seven remaining cooling towers.

In my CEGB days I did a spell of work at Ferrybridge "A" and "B". "A" was the small but noisy one. "B" had the sweltering temperatures; the temperature in the boiler house must have been well in excess of 50°C. As for "C", it provided a grand walk through the turbo-generator hall on the way to the site canteen.

At least I can say I was there!
  • Yes, this is not the first time a cooling tower at Ferrybridge "C " has crashed to the ground. In 1965, Mother Nature had a good puff and took out three of them. Someone with a camera happened to be at the right place at the right time and took this dramatic picture.

sse.com/media/389267/HistoricFerrybridge4.jpg

(Picture from SSE, last owners of Ferrybridge "C" under privatisation)  Note also in the picture the pylon - sorry - transmission tower, and the excessive and inconsistent lean on the insulating pot suspension strings.

Ferrybridge "B" was a distinctive landmark on the A1, and in due course Ferrybridge "C" became an even bigger landmark on the A1(M) and M62 - and of course the railway. I drove by in February 2016 and saw for the last time Ferrybridge "C" "in steam", with just Unit 3 running. I'll be passing again in September to see it for the last time with its seven remaining cooling towers.

In my CEGB days I did a spell of work at Ferrybridge "A" and "B". "A" was the small but noisy one. "B" had the sweltering temperatures; the temperature in the boiler house must have been well in excess of 50°C. As for "C", it provided a grand walk through the turbo-generator hall on the way to the site canteen.

At least I can say I was there!
Children
No Data