This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Circular Band 2 "omni" aerials - past their sell-by date?

Here is a set of aerials which is still a fairly typical sight. From top to bottom, a yagi array for UHF television, an "omni" aerial for Band 2 FM sound, and a single dipole Band 3 aerial for digital audio broadcasting. My query is about the seemingly continuing usage of the circular "omni" aerials.
fdfcff8e493d6140214ce08ade52ab30-huge-wp_20190716_001.jpg

Time was when Band 2 FM sound transmissions were nearly all horizontally polarized. With the growth of local radio from the late 1960s, an aerial that could receive signals from all directions seemed a good idea. The drawback with this type of aerial is that it has poor sensitivity, typically 2 dB to 3 dB below that of a single dipole aerial mounted perpendicular to the direction of the transmitter.

Years ago, when these were still quite new, an aerial contractor persuaded me to have one fitted, making great claims over its performance with signals from all directions. But I was disappointed with the results, and later replaced it with a four-element yagi array, which proved much better.

With the rapid increase in usage of FM radio for casual listening on portable receivers and in car radios, nearly all the main FM transmitters have been adapted to give a mixed polarisation, i.e. including a vertical element. Indeed, some transmitters use vertical polarization only, particularly stations that serve a locality where the signal from the main station is weaker than desirable - like a local station we have near where I live.

So a horizontal "omni" aerial in this area is hardly suitable for either the weak signal from the main transmitter or the vertically polarized signal from the local transmitter. A vertically-mounted single dipole Band 2 aerial would be omnidirectional and give better results. One rarely sees these, though single dipole Band 3 aerials are becoming increasingly common.

Yet I still occasionally see new circular aerials being installed, including on communal aerial installations serving tenement buildings. One would presume that these are installed by professionals who would know what they are doing.

Is the provision of FM Band 2 reception on a communal system a bit of a perfunctory operation nowadays, anyway? My guess is that the connoisseurs of quality sound radio would use the digital services available on either Freeview or Satellite, as I do. Casual listeners would go for DAB, where quality is compromised by the ever-increasing range of programmes, at the expense of bandwidth.

Is "gimmick value" working here? Would anyone from the TV and aerial trade like to comment?

Parents

• Ian Nock:

Well I cannot better Denis McMahon‍ 's technical description but I can probably add an opinion.

Firstly it is amazing how many things are done because of habit and based on old training, as well as what is requested. I can certainly believe that installations like as described are done because of old approaches.

The reality though is that more and more people are leaving the antenna sockets unused through the deployment of IP based video and audio delivery, whether via Smart TV, OTT dongle or 'Smart Speaker'.

I am afraid to say that I believe traditional broadcast RF transmission and reception is living on borrowed time compared to the utility of IP delivered content.

Thank you, Ian, for your reply. This makes a lot of sense. I can think of other branches of engineering where things are done in a way that is "traditional" rather than take best advantage of new methodology. I imagine that many "radio" sockets connected to a communal system will remain unused, as new technologies gradually take over from FM radio.

I likewise am making increasing usage of digital TV and radio, and IP schemes - Amazon Prime is now looking promising after a shaky start. Wi-fi is now more reliable than it used to be, delivering a stronger signal from the hub. I have also wired my house with Ethernet connections to various key points, to obtain an even-faster signal. A drawback of IP delivery is that it sometimes fails for short periods of time. Terrestrial or satellite broadcasting is more reliable in this respect. I don't think these more-traditional systems will disappear for a while yet.

• Ian Nock:

Well I cannot better Denis McMahon‍ 's technical description but I can probably add an opinion.

Firstly it is amazing how many things are done because of habit and based on old training, as well as what is requested. I can certainly believe that installations like as described are done because of old approaches.

The reality though is that more and more people are leaving the antenna sockets unused through the deployment of IP based video and audio delivery, whether via Smart TV, OTT dongle or 'Smart Speaker'.

I am afraid to say that I believe traditional broadcast RF transmission and reception is living on borrowed time compared to the utility of IP delivered content.

Thank you, Ian, for your reply. This makes a lot of sense. I can think of other branches of engineering where things are done in a way that is "traditional" rather than take best advantage of new methodology. I imagine that many "radio" sockets connected to a communal system will remain unused, as new technologies gradually take over from FM radio.

I likewise am making increasing usage of digital TV and radio, and IP schemes - Amazon Prime is now looking promising after a shaky start. Wi-fi is now more reliable than it used to be, delivering a stronger signal from the hub. I have also wired my house with Ethernet connections to various key points, to obtain an even-faster signal. A drawback of IP delivery is that it sometimes fails for short periods of time. Terrestrial or satellite broadcasting is more reliable in this respect. I don't think these more-traditional systems will disappear for a while yet.
Children
No Data