This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Last orders for queue jumping in pubs thanks to facial recognition system

Been reading this article in E&T online about an AI company using facial recognition to determine the order of service at the bar!!! Genius!!!
Parents
  • Hm!  Well this is certainly clever in concept, but I see this exercise more as a trial for proving an application that has wider and more-serious potential applications, such as identity checks at customs or other security control areas.

It is easy enough to serve everyone in turn at a bar without resorting to complex electronics. What you do is direct people into a single queue, preferably approaching the bar from one end and moving along as service proceeds. Even set up a guard rail in front of the bar to make the direction more obvious.

Bar staff like this; particularly when there are multiple staff at the bar. It enables then to check who is next with a quick glance along the bar, and avoids the aggro of customers thinking they have been passed by. Customers like it; they can see for themselves that they are being served in turn, and there are no worries about their identity being passed on.

I have only occasionally seen this simple but  effective arrangement in use in bars, clubs, shop payment counters, etc, though banks use it a lot. I am surprised that its use is not more widespread.
  • Hm!  Well this is certainly clever in concept, but I see this exercise more as a trial for proving an application that has wider and more-serious potential applications, such as identity checks at customs or other security control areas.

It is easy enough to serve everyone in turn at a bar without resorting to complex electronics. What you do is direct people into a single queue, preferably approaching the bar from one end and moving along as service proceeds. Even set up a guard rail in front of the bar to make the direction more obvious.

Bar staff like this; particularly when there are multiple staff at the bar. It enables then to check who is next with a quick glance along the bar, and avoids the aggro of customers thinking they have been passed by. Customers like it; they can see for themselves that they are being served in turn, and there are no worries about their identity being passed on.

I have only occasionally seen this simple but  effective arrangement in use in bars, clubs, shop payment counters, etc, though banks use it a lot. I am surprised that its use is not more widespread.
Children
No Data