This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Pressure testing for leaks in electric heater

Hi All

I've got an industrial electric water heater in which I have just replaced the 66 elements and filled it up with water.  The heater manufacturer says I should pressure test it to 7.5 bar before commissioning, but the tank is vented to atmosphere.  So I can't do this.  The elements are sealed with compression fittings and olives set to manufacturer's torque spec of 140 NM.  it seems to me that if I don't do the pressure test there is a risk of a leak developing later, but I don't know what the probability is.

Any ideas?

Stephen
Parents
  • It sounds to me as if the heater manufacturer is expecting the heaters to be in a pressurised tank (perhaps 3 bar tank so pressure tested at 2 1/2 times working pressure?) but as it is in a vented tank the pressure test may not be applicable and a leak test sufficient. In addition to asking the manufacturer for the methodology, and possibly ahead of that question, I would suggest explaining the situation to the manufacturer and checking whether they still recommend a leak test.

Alasdair
  • It sounds to me as if the heater manufacturer is expecting the heaters to be in a pressurised tank (perhaps 3 bar tank so pressure tested at 2 1/2 times working pressure?) but as it is in a vented tank the pressure test may not be applicable and a leak test sufficient. In addition to asking the manufacturer for the methodology, and possibly ahead of that question, I would suggest explaining the situation to the manufacturer and checking whether they still recommend a leak test.

Alasdair
Children
No Data