This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is it time for the IET to conduct a new Salary Survey - for the benefit of all UK and Ireland Members and Employers?

Is it about time that the IET carried out another UK and Ireland Engineering Salary Survey before Brexit Chaos Ensues ? On 6 Feb 1998 the IEE received responses from some 10,575 UK and Eire based Fellows, Members, Associate Members and Associates at a time when the total UK wide IEE Membership was 69,775. The recent Salary Survey 2019 - published in The Engineer Magazine in collaboration with CBS Butler received responses from just 1568 engineers covering 12 engineering sectors, ranging from Academia, through Rail and Infrastructure, Defence and Security, Automotive, Aerospace, Telecomms/Electronics, Food and Drink, Chemicals, Oil and Gas and Energy/renewables/nuclear, 3 levels of responsibility (Junior, Senior/Manager and Director) and 6 geographical regions. This works out to be 12 x 3 x 6 groups spread over 1568 data points i.e. an average of just 7 data points per cell. Needless to say this Survey could not show either salary medians, upper and lower quartiles nor any analysis on the basis of Class of Membership e.g. Chartered, Incorporated, Technician. By comparison the IEE Salary Survey 1998 covered six responsibility levels and was able to show meaningful statistical data by age group in 5 year age bands from graduation to retirement. The IET alone now has 168,000 members in 150 countries world wide, surely a golden opportunity for a New Salary Survey? The President Elect, Dr Peter Bonfield asked us, at his recent address, entitled 'The Future of Engineering' given on 3rd July 2019, at The University of Hertford, for suggestions to facilitate the ongoing advancement of the IET Profession both individually, collectively, educationally, and reputationally in the public eye in order to encourage many more bright youngsters and school leavers to take Professional Engineering in the UK as their career of first choice. Maybe this survey would provide an up to date view of where we are and where we need to make improvements for the sake of all our futures.

Parents
  • Hi,

Yes that all makes very good sense. The schools side is interesting, the point I always make in schools these days is that engineers' salaries are very similar to any other profession: accountants, doctors, legal professionals, teachers. (There was a very nice survey that showed this recently in one of the major newspapers, but of course I can't find it now I'm looking for it!). I do also put it into perspective by being open about the fact that all professions, including engineering, cover a huge range of salaries.

When I get the inevitable 15 year old boy (always a boy interestingly, and always 15-16) who tries to show off by saying "yeah. but it's not like you can become a multi-millionaire" i point out Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and also my previous boss (and superb engineering role model) who had an underground helipad built to keep his personal helicopter in.  

That said, personally I do tend to treat it as a side issue of the main topic that engineering can be fascinating and rewarding career that can give you the opportunity to work in genuinely innovative and creative teams in areas that interest you. And just throw in, almost as an "obviously..." statement, the parity with other professions. Whether that's actually the best way to approach it or not I don't know - I suppose it's just how I've always approached my own career.

Regarding a good salary survey helping engineers judge where they are, I agree provided that - to echo your point - the level of detail is good enough. Back when I used to run a team I would, of course, regularly have one or two engineers who would come to me and say "why aren't I being paid more?" So we'd have a chat and I'd explain what they needed to do to be paid more - which was usually to take on more responsibility. Often I find salary surveys don't get that across very well - that it's not expert knowledge that commands high salaries, it's (very simplistically) willingness to accept broad responsibility. (Rightly or wrongly.) So what would be really good (sort of thinking aloud here, or at least thinking as I type!) is a salary survey that explains WHY some roles have higher salaries than others. That could really help people decide what they want to do.

Which in a lot of cases the decision is: would you rather have a high salary, or have a quiet life? ?

So here's a thought following on from your thought - as well as (i.e. interlinked to) a salary survey, how about a role survey? Something that helps engineers at all stages in their careers who are thinking "I feel like I need a change, starting from here where could I go?" This might be to, as you suggest, find new routes to a higher salary, but also sometimes an individual might be happy to have LESS salary, but a chance to move out of London, or to spend less time in airports and hotels, or less time in the freezing rain on site at 3am, or to spend more time with the family, or to do something more technically interesting etc etc And just occasionally even come across a role which pays more but is lower stress! 

Interesting.

Cheers,

Andy
  • Hi,

Yes that all makes very good sense. The schools side is interesting, the point I always make in schools these days is that engineers' salaries are very similar to any other profession: accountants, doctors, legal professionals, teachers. (There was a very nice survey that showed this recently in one of the major newspapers, but of course I can't find it now I'm looking for it!). I do also put it into perspective by being open about the fact that all professions, including engineering, cover a huge range of salaries.

When I get the inevitable 15 year old boy (always a boy interestingly, and always 15-16) who tries to show off by saying "yeah. but it's not like you can become a multi-millionaire" i point out Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and also my previous boss (and superb engineering role model) who had an underground helipad built to keep his personal helicopter in.  

That said, personally I do tend to treat it as a side issue of the main topic that engineering can be fascinating and rewarding career that can give you the opportunity to work in genuinely innovative and creative teams in areas that interest you. And just throw in, almost as an "obviously..." statement, the parity with other professions. Whether that's actually the best way to approach it or not I don't know - I suppose it's just how I've always approached my own career.

Regarding a good salary survey helping engineers judge where they are, I agree provided that - to echo your point - the level of detail is good enough. Back when I used to run a team I would, of course, regularly have one or two engineers who would come to me and say "why aren't I being paid more?" So we'd have a chat and I'd explain what they needed to do to be paid more - which was usually to take on more responsibility. Often I find salary surveys don't get that across very well - that it's not expert knowledge that commands high salaries, it's (very simplistically) willingness to accept broad responsibility. (Rightly or wrongly.) So what would be really good (sort of thinking aloud here, or at least thinking as I type!) is a salary survey that explains WHY some roles have higher salaries than others. That could really help people decide what they want to do.

Which in a lot of cases the decision is: would you rather have a high salary, or have a quiet life? ?

So here's a thought following on from your thought - as well as (i.e. interlinked to) a salary survey, how about a role survey? Something that helps engineers at all stages in their careers who are thinking "I feel like I need a change, starting from here where could I go?" This might be to, as you suggest, find new routes to a higher salary, but also sometimes an individual might be happy to have LESS salary, but a chance to move out of London, or to spend less time in airports and hotels, or less time in the freezing rain on site at 3am, or to spend more time with the family, or to do something more technically interesting etc etc And just occasionally even come across a role which pays more but is lower stress! 

Interesting.

Cheers,

Andy
Children
No Data