This discussion is locked.
You cannot post a reply to this discussion. If you have a question start a new discussion

Is it time for the IET to conduct a new Salary Survey - for the benefit of all UK and Ireland Members and Employers?

Is it about time that the IET carried out another UK and Ireland Engineering Salary Survey before Brexit Chaos Ensues ? On 6 Feb 1998 the IEE received responses from some 10,575 UK and Eire based Fellows, Members, Associate Members and Associates at a time when the total UK wide IEE Membership was 69,775. The recent Salary Survey 2019 - published in The Engineer Magazine in collaboration with CBS Butler received responses from just 1568 engineers covering 12 engineering sectors, ranging from Academia, through Rail and Infrastructure, Defence and Security, Automotive, Aerospace, Telecomms/Electronics, Food and Drink, Chemicals, Oil and Gas and Energy/renewables/nuclear, 3 levels of responsibility (Junior, Senior/Manager and Director) and 6 geographical regions. This works out to be 12 x 3 x 6 groups spread over 1568 data points i.e. an average of just 7 data points per cell. Needless to say this Survey could not show either salary medians, upper and lower quartiles nor any analysis on the basis of Class of Membership e.g. Chartered, Incorporated, Technician. By comparison the IEE Salary Survey 1998 covered six responsibility levels and was able to show meaningful statistical data by age group in 5 year age bands from graduation to retirement. The IET alone now has 168,000 members in 150 countries world wide, surely a golden opportunity for a New Salary Survey? The President Elect, Dr Peter Bonfield asked us, at his recent address, entitled 'The Future of Engineering' given on 3rd July 2019, at The University of Hertford, for suggestions to facilitate the ongoing advancement of the IET Profession both individually, collectively, educationally, and reputationally in the public eye in order to encourage many more bright youngsters and school leavers to take Professional Engineering in the UK as their career of first choice. Maybe this survey would provide an up to date view of where we are and where we need to make improvements for the sake of all our futures.

Parents

• Roy Bowdler:
    If professional bodies could control the supply of engineers, then they could make the market instead of employers,

I am going to have to disagree with you here, Roy. The market is generally driven by those who have the money, in this case the employers, and it generally comes down to supply and demand. The only way that professional bodies could control the supply of engineers is by somehow creating a shortage, which would not be good for either the employers or the professional bodies.

However I have to say that your post is, as usual, thought provoking and worth reading even if I disagree with one or two points.

Alasdair

• Roy Bowdler:
    If professional bodies could control the supply of engineers, then they could make the market instead of employers,

I am going to have to disagree with you here, Roy. The market is generally driven by those who have the money, in this case the employers, and it generally comes down to supply and demand. The only way that professional bodies could control the supply of engineers is by somehow creating a shortage, which would not be good for either the employers or the professional bodies.

However I have to say that your post is, as usual, thought provoking and worth reading even if I disagree with one or two points.

Alasdair

Children
No Data